We Gather Together Chapter Thirteen

Jack Drexler stood on the front stoop of his home and rang the doorbell again. When there was no answer, he pounded on the door. He knew Annie was in there.

"We need to talk."

Annie yelled through the door, "Go away, Jack."

Jack let out his frustration, "Open the door!"

"Get lost, Jack! Go away! You made your choice. Live with it!"

Through the small leaded window in the door, Annie could see Jack return to his car, shuffling through the leaves. She unbolted the door and then opened it, standing in the doorway and staring at him.

Jack got to his car and looked back at his home. He saw Annie positioned on the threshold and started back toward her. She could see his left hand; he was still not wearing his wedding ring. She had continued to wear hers since they weren't divorced – yet.

"Say what you have to say from there, Jack. You're supposed to contact me first."

He slowed his pace but didn't stop. Annie raised her right hand to him, palm out.

"My cell phone's not working," Jack said, then he pleaded as he moved closer to her. "Come on, Annie."

"Not another step, Jack. Say it from there. What's so important that you have to tell me now? Have you decided we need to get lawyers and finalize everything legally?"

Jack turned back toward his car, mumbling to himself, "Never mind."

"I didn't hear you, Jack."

She was frustrating him. She knew she was in control of the situation.

"Tell the kids I love them. I'm going back to work."

"I didn't hear you, Jack. Say it so that I can hear you."

He turned to move toward her again. She put up her hand again to stop him. Jack looked at his wife, "Annie. . ."

"You can't move back in, Jack."

The tensions and heartache of all his weeks of being apart from his family simmered. The thought of his loneliness and of being by himself night-after-night started to boil over. He didn't care that others would hear him, that pedestrians were on the sidewalk behind him and deliveries were being made by panel truck drivers to neighborhood homes. He didn't care who was listening.

He yelled at Annie, "You're all I've got! I have no one but you!"

His soul was hemorrhaging right there, spewing forth onto the leaves covering his front lawn.

But Annie didn't move. She predicted he would say that at some point. She wasn't going to let him use his personal tragedy to create guilt in her. She knew that he could not only be greater than he was, but also be the greatest man he could ever be. She would have to give him tough love to make that happen. She would have to be a McCulloch when it was necessary.

But that didn't mean she would be heartless toward him – and it didn't mean that she would be any less straightforward with him.

"Come in the house. I don't want you embarrassing the family in front of everyone," Annie said as she watched a school bus pass on the street. "Make this fast. Jason's on half days today and tomorrow. I want you out of here before he gets home."

"This won't take long. I'll be out of here soon."

Jack wanted to declare to her, "Good God, you're a bitch," but he kept his mouth shut as he kicked leaves out of his way and stepped onto the front stoop.

"Wipe your feet," she said as she backed away from the foyer. She watched Jack wipe his shoes on the welcome mat. He tried to look at her, but she avoided his gaze. Annie stepped aside as he entered their home and she closed the front door behind him.

"I know you're thinking I'm a bitch," Annie said as she went over to the laundry basket on the couch, "You made me into one when you left, Jack. Deal with it."