Chapter 80 - Beginning of Chaos (3)

The Hero of Freedom, Akane, was in a dilemma. She couldn't believe that her friend had changed so much. There was not a single day she had thought that Daigo would take such extreme policy. She had been admiring Daigo from the first day they were summoned. She had admired his bravery and strength when they were told to fight against monsters for the first time.

Akane burried her face to her knee at the corner of the carriage. She had her entire figure hidden by robes so that her surroundings, who were actually the refugee from Maximillian. Beastkin of all ages were sitting side by side inside the cramped carriage. They all had despaired face. They hadn't accepted the fact that they had to leave their hometown this way.

In front of the carriage, Mark was using his special ability nonstop. Trull and Billy were guarding the sides while Flo was guarding the back for any pursuer. They actually wanted to save every beastkin they knew but they were not capable to do so. The church had spread their men before the first massacre so that after the massacre, the beastkin hunt commenced almost immediately. This made the rescue of the beastkin beyond their reach deemed impossible.

Before they used the underground pathway, they had been ambushed by the dogs of the church countless times already. It had caused few new victims but they had managed to fend off the ambushes even they were outnumbered by a lot.

"Why it has to end up like this?"

Akane murmured.

She had been living in the world of innocence all this time since her summoning. The first unexpected thing she had seen since her first time standing in this world was the defeat of Daigo against Ren. She then lived her live as a symbol of peace and freedom. Living as an Idol for the upper class society was tasted like a sweet dream before a cruel awakening. She got involved in power struggle of her employers and almost lost her chastity if her client hadn't hired Mark and Flo.

Since then, she started to see the other side of this world. The poverty, cruelty, arrogance, greed and the discrimination she had yet to see before was displayed at full course with the massacre order as the finale. She had her feeling in mess. She wanted to cry but she couldn't. She had started to miss her peaceful daily life in her previous world.

Suddenly the carriage stopped. 

"What's wrong Mark?"

Trull asked.

"No, I just got a message from Callisto. The negotiation between the guildmaster and the king of the land we're heading to is still on going for some reason. There's some troublesome fellow in that place saying that they can't give an aid for free."

Mark said.

"I see, another rotten country huh?"

Trull sighed.

"At least that place still have a place where the head will roll on the ground anytime."

Mark added.

"No matter where you go, there will be a hell, isn't it?"

Trull said sarcastically. Nobody dared to refute that. It was more or less true after all. 

"Is there still no news from that monkey?"

Trull asked. 

"Nothing just yet, ah, no, he just send me a signal."

Mark said. He approached the wall and reactivated his ability once again. Soon, the wall crumbled down and revealed the sunlight from the outside. The refugees looked toward the exit in awe.

"Does this means we're finally escaped from Maximillian?"

A young catkin asked. 

"Yes, we're already beyond Maximillian territory. You're all save here."

Mark said. Mark led the group out of the tunnel he had made. The people were shocked seeing their arrival were greeted with the lineup of armed soldiers.

"Say, Mark, is it just me or something looks not right here?"

Trull asked. He warily reached his battle hammer just in case.

"I am Mark, an adventurer. I'm here escorting the survivors of the inhumane massacre of Maximillian."

Mark declared. However, nobody moved or responded. The knight standing in the middle raised his hand. The archers behind him silently pulled their bowstrings.

"Tch!! A trap huh? Does this mean that this country is no good for us?"

Trull cursed.

"I don't think so. There's none stupid enough to collude with Maximillian if they have no fanatic leader with screw loose among their higher ups. Also, their behavior is rather suspicious."

Mark whispered. He reached for his dagger. But just before he could touch the grip, a shield flew above his head at high speed like a gigantic chakram. It spun fast and flew in an arc toward the area above the soldiers. As soon as the shield passed a soldier's head, that soldier fell to the ground like a puppet. The shield flew in an arc and curved toward the owner of that shield, Flo.

"As I thought huh?"

Flo said.

"They were manipulated using a thin string. The puppeteer shouldn't be far."

She added. 

"I had something to say regarding that sudden move you had done but I'll do it later."

Mark said.

"Then, there's that for later right? Now, we know that our enemy is hidden. It's your turn, leader."

Flo said. Mark's eyes sharpened. He reached for his hood and covered his head.

"Trull, Billy, Flo, protect the carriage."

Mark said.

"Sure thing, do your part properly alright?"

Flo said. Mark didn't say anything. He crouched down and his figure suddenly blurred from his high speed movement.

"I guess, Mark will take some time playing around with that guy. So, we gotta make sure there won't be a single scratch landed on our clients right?"

Flo said readying her shield. Billy who had stayed silent since earlier poised his giant axe with a grin on his face. Trull also readied his battle hammer. They were still fearless regardless the approaching arrows flying toward them from the manipulated soldiers.