Chapter 33 - Mad Scientist

Ren’s here. Today was another hectic day in the boundary of life and death. I have spent in this layer for a while now. After regaining my alchemy, I was stuck in this crazy world for my trial. If a single word could describe this situation that would be madness.

Right now, I was hiding inside an abandoned building of a ghost town field which was used for my trial. I was out of breath. My head was throbbing from the lack of oxygen after running around for long time. If you wondered what kind of situation I was in, the story started from the moment I entered this place.

After regaining my Alchemy, I followed the path to the next trial. I was able to reach the trial site which was this ghost town. At the entrance, an old man wearing black robe was waiting. He was holding a wooden cane in his hand.

‘Oho, it seems like we finally able to meet, Ren Concerto.’

He said to me. He smirked at me. I looked at him warily.

‘Ah, it seems like I haven’t introduced myself. I am known as Mad Sorcerer Arcent. You should understand it already, my identity that is.’

He laughed after said that. When I heard that name, I just could cross my arms and tried to recall any renown person with that name but nobody came to my mind.

‘Sorry but I don’t recall reading your profile.’

I said. The smile on his face cramped all at once.

‘You didn’t read my note?’

He said.

‘My apologies but which note you are talking about?’

I asked.

‘I see… you didn’t read it huh? I thought my legacy would be inherited but it seems like I am wrong.’

He muttered.

‘Umm…perhaps you could explain which note you’re talking about. I perhaps did read your note as I had read some books with the cover already tattered and unreadable.’

I said.

‘Ah, now you mention it. You took my book from my lab 100 years after my death.’

He said. I came to realise his identity of this man when he said it.

‘Hou, it seems like you have a gist about my identity.’

He said.

‘Yeah, more or less. Of course it would be impossible for me to identify you as your appearance during our first meeting was just piles of bones in a tattered robe. Am I right, Mad Scientist-san?’

I said. He laughed as he brushed his beard.

‘Good that you remember. I had a lot to ask you. Did you read the book?’

He asked.

‘Ah, I have yet read the detailed but I had skimmed through few pages.’

I said. He nodded few times as he brushed his beard.

‘Then, what do you think about the content, self-proclaimed scientist?’

He asked.

‘There are many interesting theories but I couldn’t understand the main principles. I asked Anastasia and got the notes confiscated instead.’

I said. The old man sighed.

‘Too bad you can’t bring back any information with you from this place.’

He muttered.

‘Etto, in that case, can I have my sealed power?’

I asked.

‘No, wait a minute. I was told that you can’t bring back any information that was taught orally right? Then, there’s no proof that you can’t bring back the information that was taught physically. This is interesting topic. In that case…’

He began muttering with small voice by himself. Judging from the flow of conversation, I got a bad feeling about this.

‘Yosh, let’s do a quick experiment.’

He said. This time he used a loud voice that was clearly audible by me. He looked at me and brushed his beard.

‘Experiment?’

I tried to ask him. He smiled like a predator who had seen his prey.

‘I have mastery over Arcane, Alchemy, Rune Craft, Magic, and Sorcery. I’ll throw everything at you for several days. If my theory was right, the physical teaching method I would give you will be brought back to the real world.’

He said with wide smile. I felt that this man was extremely dangerous. I needed to run away as fast as possible. After that, he began pursuing me while throwing every magic attacks he had which then led me to the current situation.

Having a crazy scientist as a mentor was the worst learning method. Rather than teaching, he was just doing an experiment on me. He fired magic after another at me. Sometimes, he used combination of a spell with magic circle to create a variation like a curved Flame Lances for example.

“Then, let’s try the next teaching.”

I heard his voice from outside the building. I peeked outside through the gaps of the wooden door. The crazy old man was firing ice magic at several direction.

“Then, let’s start!! This is my sorcery.”

He declared. Suddenly from his surroundings, chunks of ice started to form. The chunks grew larger and changed into a shape of armored centaurs lined up like elite soldiers.

“Sorcery? How? Doesn’t Sorcery need a ritual preparation for it to active?”

I muttered. The old man swung his staff. The company of ice centaur moved like golems and rushed toward me.

“Crap!!”

I quickly ran toward the back door.

CRASH!!

The sound of the door got crushed by heavy blow came from behind me. I ran away from the centaurs till I found an ice sculpture of a sword stabbed into a pedestal. I widened my eyes upon seeing something which shouldn’t be there.

“I see!! He used the ice magic to create chunks of ice and then use the alchemy to change the shape as well as engraving the runes on it at the same time. After that he must have used arcane’s magic circles to make the ice sculptures landed safely on the designated spots and use them to invoke sorcery.”

I muttered in realisation. I ran toward the ice sculpture. Without any hesitation, I rammed my body toward the sword and broke it. I slid down along the ground to kill my momentum. Looking back at the company of centaurs, I saw them crumbling down from losing their summoning medium.

I stopped running and sighed in relieve. I looked upward and saw an old man floating in the air.

“Oho, it seems like you have been able to see through my tricks. Then, the next step is this.”

He said. He took out a pouch from his sleeve and threw it to me. I caught it instead of dodging. I opened the pouch and found the magic sphere inside.

“You’re giving it to me?”

I asked dumbfounded.

“Of course, duh. Without that, you can’t go back to the realm of living. And if you don’t go back, then this experiment is meaningless.”

He said. I sighed tiredly.

“Next time, please do your research in more peaceful way.”

I said.

“Kakaka!!! If I do that, I won’t be a mad scientist don’t you think?”

He laughed.

“That’s true…”

I couldn’t help but agree to that logic.

“Then, see ya, fellow seeker of truth.”

He said as his body turned into particles. I picked the sphere in the pouch and reclaimed my ability over arcane magic. Even I had regained my ability, it took me quite long time for me to reach the next trial place as I had difficulty in finding the exit.