Chapter 28 - First Seal

I was at lost. The scenery changed back into pitch black darkness. After the sudden explanation I couldn’t comprehend at all, everything turned back into the pitch black state like someone had just switched off the lamp all sudden.

“Still, Boundary of Life and Death huh?”

I muttered.

“In other word, I’m neither dead nor alive.”

I added. I looked at every direction. Nothing could be found. I took a step forward. I felt the feedback of standing on a flat plane. I kept advancing forward. The pitch black darkness felt so endless that I thought that I didn’t move at all.

I didn’t know how long I’ve been walking. But, without feeling thirst, hunger, or fatigue this journey felt so unreal. It was like a dream.

My feet stopped. I reached for my side and then pinched it as hard as I could. As I do so, the darkness distorted. I blinked my eyes several times. When the distortion disappeared, I found myself lying on a white room. I raised my body. In front of me, I saw the chuuni me was sitting cross-legged in front of a shogi board.

“Yo! It seems like you’ve decided to wake up.”

He said.

“You’re…”

I was at lost. I stood up and sat at the opposite side of him.

“Oh, wanna play?”

He asked.

“No, there are some matters I wish to ask you.”

I said.

“I see… Ask away, as we play you can ask anything.”

He said. He started moving his piece. I looked at my pieces. I picked one and moved it.

“So, what are you going to ask?”

He asked. My lips parted and asked him who knows well about my past life. He closed his eyes and sighed. He moved his piece. He answered my question with a surprising reply. Question after another I asked on each step I took. And every time I asked, he always answered with bored looks.

“But, even I told you everything, you won’t be able to bring it back to the outside world.”

He said.

“What do you mean?”

I asked.

“This is boundary of life and death. This is a place where the living can meet the deceased. If someone can get all information from the realm of the dead, the balance of the world will crumble. But, those residents of the dead can still be able to guide the living to realise the matter they wished to know.”

He said.

“I see…”

I looked down sadly. He moved his piece. I observed every movement he made.

“Then, in that case. Can you teach me something?”

I said as I moved.

“I don’t have anything to teach you though.”

He replied.

“No, you can still teach me something.”

I said as I moved my piece.

“Oho, that’s a nice move. So, what do you think I can teach you?”

He asked. I picked my piece.

“A way to break this seal from inside”

I said as I put down my piece.

“Checkmate”

I declared.

“Wha-“

He was dumbfounded.

“Ah, it seems like I need some more training in this game.”

He muttered.

“So, can you teach me, O Guardian of the Netherworld?”

I said.

“What, you realized it huh?”

His form changed into a man wearing a demon mask. He was wearing black robe and was holding a trident.

“To break the seal from inside is normally impossible. But, as a person who hold authority over death, you should be able to do it.”

He said.

“How?”

I asked.

“Take back what belong to you.”

He replied. He approached me.

“And this is the first step you have taken to do that.”

He handed me a blue sphere. I accepted the sphere. As soon as the sphere touched me, it crumbled into dust and the small light contained by the sphere entered my body.

“Your past life is not something to be worried about. You need to think about the present and used the past as reference and then take a step toward the future. You’re no longer Kazuma. You’ve been reincarnated as someone who has the ability to change the world. Bear that in mind.”

He said. He stood and stretched his hand into an empty space. The white wall suddenly parted like a hidden mechanism of a certain treasure house. I thanked him and walked toward the path opened beyond the hidden door.