Chapter 41

"Hello?" Joe hears through the speaker. He lets out a relieved sigh. Thank lord Gwil is home.
"It's Joe." He simply says. The door gives a small klick and Joe pushes it open. He runs up the stairs towards Gwil's apartment. The latter is already leaning against the doorframe.
"I'm sorry for coming without calling first, but can I crash at your place tonight?" Joe asks. Gwil doesn't say anything but instead steps aside to invite Joe inside.
"Do you want some tea?" Gwil asks as soon as Joe sits down on the couch. Joe nods and Gwil disappears in the kitchen.
"Where is your girlfriend?" Joe asks as he looks around the quiet place.
"She flew back to England to meet up with some of her family. She should be back Thursday." Gwil says while he walks back in the room with two hot mugs of tea in his hands. He flops on the couch next to Joe.

"So, what is wrong?" Gwil asks. Joe's head jerks upwards while he looks at Gwil with wide eyes.
"Nothing." He mumbles before grabbing his cup of tea.
"First of all, that tea is way too hot to drink. Second of all, Joe, I have seen you every day for eight months. Don't you think that by now I know when something is wrong?" Gwil says.
"Ben and I got in a fight." Joe sighs. Gwil stops halfway with the movement of running his hand through his hair.
"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks casually. He doesn't want to push Joe into telling something he doesn't want to.
"It's just. It's just that I don't get why Ben thinks I would cheat on him?" Joe sighs while he shakes his head. He places his cup on the table again. 

"Wait, what? Ben accused you of cheating? What in the world?" Gwils eyebrows furrow as he looks with Joe with a concerned look on his face.
"Yeah, with Rami. I have been helping him with some personal stuff. Rami didn't want anyone to know so last time Ben asked if he could come along. I told him that he couldn't because we had to deal with some personal stuff. And tonight Rami rang me in the middle of the night. He was in a complete state of panic. So, I went over there to help him but Ben thought we were fucking." Joe lets his head fall into his hands. He rubs his hands over his face as he tries not to let his tears find a way through.
"What an idiot. Is he completely out of his mind?" Gwil asks.
"Please, don't say that Gwil. It is still my boyfriend you are talking about." Joe mumbles. Gwil lets out a relieved sigh before speaking:  "He didn't break up with you?"
"No, he did not. I let him call Rami who came over to explain the whole damn story. Then he apologized but I told him that I needed some time and I ran out of the door. I told him not to go looking for me." Joe says. Gwil makes a small humming sound.
"How late was that?" He asks while he flicks his wrist so he can look at his watch.
"Around ten this morning I think." Joe shifts so he can sit upright again.
"That is almost twelve hours ago. You can stay here tonight if you want. That is never a problem. You know that. But you've got to text Ben. Just to tell him that you are okay and that you are coming back tomorrow. That guy is probably worried sick." Gwil says. Joe lets out a loud sigh and grabs his phone from his pocket. When he turns it on for the first time that day he sees that he has three texts. Two from Ben and one from Rami. He opens the one from Rami first.

Rami: Are you alright?
Joe: I'll be fine. Just need some more time to think.

Joe hesitates before opening the chat with Ben.

Look Joe, I am really sorry. I should have known that you wouldn't cheat on me. And I completely understand that you are mad at me. And I really would like to talk to you about this. But for now, I am just worried. Are you safe?

You have been away for 10 hours. Are you alright?

Joe can feel the gaze from Gwil on his back. He hesitates before he starts typing his message.

Yes, I am safe. Don't worry about me. I will stay somewhere else tonight. I still need some time to think. I will come home tomorrow.

As soon as it is sent he sees Ben coming online. Joe quickly clicks the chat away so he doesn't have to see Ben's response. He places his phone on the table and grabs his cup again.
"What about we go and watch a movie and then go to bed? I have some clothes you can borrow as pyjamas if you would like that."
"Yeah, sounds like a good plan," Joe says distractedly. Gwil doesn't pay attention to it as he is trying to find a good movie to watch. He turns it on and sits on the couch next to Joe. Not to close to come into Joe's personal space, but close enough that Joe can lay down and cuddle with Gwil if he wants too.

After a while, Ben appears on the screen. Gwils eyes get wide. How could he have forgotten that Ben stars in this movie?
"Are you trying to get my mind of Ben by watching a movie with Ben?" Joe asks while he looks at his boyfriend moving along the screen.
"It isn't working?" Joe sighs loudly as he gets up from the couch.
"I think I am going to bed." Gwil stands up as well to get some clothes for Joe. When he walks into the spare bedroom Joe is sitting on the bed. He stares at the wall in front of him. Gwil places the clothes on the bed.
"They might be a bit big on you, but I think you can make it work." Joe doesn't react and keeps staring at the wall.
"Hey, mate. Come here." Gwil opens his arms for Joe. Who looks up with a sad look before he walks over to the taller actor. He buries his face in the crook of the neck from the Welsch actor.
"It's okay Joe. You have a reason to be sad." Gwil whispers. Joe wraps his arms around Gwil to hold him tighter.
"Thanks, Gwil. You are a good friend." Joe whispers. Gwil barely can make out some words.
"You're not bad yourself either." Gwil grins. He tickles Joe's sides. Which earns a squeak from the latter.
"I take my words back. You are not a good friend." Joe laughs out loud as Gwil continues.
"And now go to sleep. You look tired as hell. I will be in my room. Just come in if you need anything, alright?" Gwil walks towards the door and smiles at Joe.
"Will do. Thanks that I can stay here." Joe says.
"Anytime, good night Joe," Gwil says before closing the door behind him.

***************

In the middle of the night, Joe wakes up with a horrible feeling inside of him. Emotions come flooding back immediately. His mind is racing. He grabs his phone and his earphones. As quickly as possible he changes into his own clothes again. He texts Gwil that he is going home and that he doesn't need to worry about Joe. After grabbing everything Joe opens the door as quietly as possible. The front door creaks as soon as he opens it. He listens if he hears any sounds coming from Gwil's room before he slowly closes the door behind him. He runs down the stairs. On his way home several cars rush by. The silent of the city and the darkness send shivers down his spine. Homeless people are sleeping on the sidewalks. They lay on the cold concrete as they are trying to get some rest. Joe suddenly feels very cold. He starts to get a slightly lightheaded the closer he comes to his house. He starts to run towards their street to be home as soon as possible. 

****************

Hi darlings,

How are y'all doing?

The ones who got the Undrafted reference in this chapter are official hero's. Undrafted is such a good movie. I love it so much. 

We almost hit the 10K reads. Anyone who has an idea what I can do to celebrate once we reached it?

I love y'all.

Goodbye,

Xx Itsametaphorjoe