I. Little Did I Know

Start from the beginning

I smile after him before grabbing my clothes for today. I can always count on my dad to have my back and make sure I'm taken care of. Not that I can't do it myself but between my dad and mom, I never really get the chance to. I think that's why I want to follow in my dad's footsteps and join the Army. That way I can fully become my own man while doing something honorable, just like Dad did.

Once I've gotten dressed and ready to go, I grab my black Jansport backpack off the chair at my desk and make my way to the hallway.

I nearly run into my little sister—Sarah, as she comes barging out of her room groaning. I can tell she's upset about something so with a roll of my eyes and checking my watch, I know I have more than enough time to get to school. I back up subtly and look down at her knowingly with a raised brow.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask, putting my arm around her and she shakes her head, pouting.

"Sarah, what's wrong? Tell me before I call Mom and Dad up here to interrogate it out of you. And we still haven't figured out whose worse between the two of them at drilling us until they get all the answers," I laugh and gently shake her to cheer her up. It grants me a smile and she lets out a long sigh.

"Fine. I can't find my shoes," she turns red and I can't help but laugh.

"Your shoes? That's what's bothering you? Why don't you just wear one of the other fifteen pairs you have piled up in that mess of a closet?" I laugh as I walk into her pig sty of a room. I quickly straighten it up knowing if Mom sees this, she'll flip a fucking lid.

"I have to wear those particular ones so they'll go with the rest of my outfit. I'm wearing this purple shirt so I need my purple Vans but I can't find them!" she exasperates with annoyance.

God fucking forbid I don't understand her fashion and how dare I even suggest otherwise!

As I'm picking up some dirty clothes off the floor and tossing them into the hamper, her purple shoes are revealed like a David Blaine magic trick. I roll my eyes as I look over my shoulder at her.

"Here," I toss them at her and she jumps up and down with excitement. She runs over to me and hugs me tightly, nearly knocking me over.

Sarah is a lot like our Mom—tiny but damn can she pack a punch. Especially for a nine year old. As her 6'2 big brother—half the time I think she won't ever need me to protect her from anyone. I feel sorry for future boyfriends or God forbid she ever get married—phew! I truly feel sorry for that guy.

"Jax you're the best!" she beams and I smile down at her. Even though she can be a pain in the ass, I still love her like no tomorrow.

To me—she'll always be the little girl that would make me watch stupid ass  Doc Mcstuffins and Bubbleguppies with. She'll always be my little sister that I vowed to protect the moment she came into the world. Yeah I was only eight years old at the time but I continue to live by it and will until the day I die.

"Well if you learned to clean your room more than once a month, you probably would've found them," I tease as I ruffle her curly brown hair. She rolls her eyes at me and sits on her bed to put her shoes on.

Knowing I'm no longer needed, I make my way out of her room and down the stairs. My little brother Ford is sitting at the kitchen island eating his breakfast while mom finishes cleaning up the kitchen. Dad walks in from checking her car and yells up at Sarah.

"Sarah, baby girl you need to get that ass in gear or you're going to be late for the bus!"

"And you—you sexy mama, have a wonderful day at work," he gives Mom a quick couple of kisses before grabbing her ass and I can't help but groan at the two of them. They have no damn shame in public display of affection.

Dad grins at my expression and leans over to give Ford a kiss on the top of his head.

"Bye little buddy, love you."

He gives me a pat on the back and gives Sarah a kiss on the cheek as she walks into the kitchen.

"Love you baby girl and love the shoes," he winks at her and she beams up at him before giving him a hug meant to knock you on your ass. Pfft—always will be a daddy's girl.

"You guys be good. Don't make me show up at  your schools today for you misbehaving," he threatens with a smirk and quickly puts his gear on before heading out the door for work as Clinton Hills County Sheriff.

Mom grabs her bag for work and her purse as she makes sure both Sarah and Ford have everything they need as the bus pulls up out front. Good ole' Mom, making sure her babies are taken care of before anything else.

"Okay make sure you lock up the house before you leave baby and have a great day at school, love you," she smiles before planting a kiss on my cheek, no doubt leaving a lipstick mark on my face. I quickly wipe my cheek and grin down at her.

I end up leaving right after she does, making sure the house is completely locked before I get into my truck. I start it up and it roars to life. It's a single cab truck that was my dad's when he was in high school. It's old but still runs great. My dad took great care of it and continues to take care of it now.

When I finally park in my usual spot, my best friend Alex Cambridge, is sitting on the tailgate of his spray canned painted flat black truck—waiting for me. He waves at me in his usual excited self, making me chuckle to myself.

"Hey man, ready for our last first day of high school?" he grins and puts up the tailgate of his truck with a loud bang.

"Yup—let's get this shit over with," I swing my backpack strap over my shoulder and walk towards the front steps of Clinton Hills High School.

I silently think to myself as I push open the double doors, here is to my last year of high school. I probably won't remember a thing about it and will be bored the whole time. I can't wait to get the hell out of this small town and do something with my mediocre life.

Little did I know, that my life was about to change forever.