“What’re you going on about Bax?” I sighed irratably.

“What happened last night, Damon. Do you remember any of it?”

I thought about it for a moment before responding. “Not really. Well, I remember some parts in the beginning, but somewhere in there it all becomes a blur. I think I knocked out pretty early though because I remember dreaming of Chloe.”

“That wasn’t quite a dream,” Bax began. I listened quietly and patiently as he filled in the gaps of memory from last night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Anxiously I tossed in my bed, waiting for the time to pass. Falling asleep wasn’t a concern for me, my brain wouldn’t allow it, constantly making me think about the task I was about to carry out. I had to admit I was worried. Too many things could go wrong. If I didn’t wait for the right time, Damon may not be in a deep enough sleep.

The slightest noises—say the revving of a car—could wake him up. I wasn’t even sure if the combination I had memorized the day Damon took my snowboarding for the back door security alarm was right. If I was wrong, I could trip off the alarm and all my efforts, all the trust I had built up in the past weeks would be wiped away immediately and I would never be able to pull a stunt like this again. It had to be perfect the first time around.

I felt like a blind man with this plan. Even if I made it out of the house, I couldn’t anticipate the other obstacles I would encounter on the way. Hell, I didn’t even know the roads here. I was depending on luck. All I knew was that following the road south, I would  eventually make it down the mountain, but I needed to come across someone, a town, a gas station, anyone who could point me in the right direction after that.

Suddenly I heard a noise from outside, so I curled up into my usual position, relaxed my body and slowed my breathing to make it look like I was asleep in case anyone came in to check on me. Sure enough, I heard the door knob turn and the quiet patter of feet walking towards me.  The person slowed as they approached my bed until the sounds stopped completely as if the person was silently observing me. I felt a slight dip in the bed and then once again, nothing. I could slightly hear the gentle inhale and exhalations of the person on the bed.

I couldn’t imagine who would bother to come to my bed at this hour. After several more moments, warm, calloused fingers tenderly stroked my hair, pushing it out of my face. It took all I had in me to keep calm, to not open my eyes and see who was touching me, to not tense up, to keep up my façade.  But from the feel of his fingers, I didn’t have to open my eyes to know the fingers were none other than Damon’s.

Instead of making me feel uneasy though, his rhythmic motions began putting me to sleep. I didn’t even realize how lethargic I was until my body became suddenly alert when a pair of soft lips were pressed to my temple. He got up from my bed and made his way out the door, closing it behind him. When I was sure he was gone, my eyes shot open and I sat up. Unconsciously, I lifted my hand to touch the part of my forehead he kissed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The clock next to my bed now read 3:30AM. After and agonizingly boring wait, it was finally time. I slipped on all my warm snow stuff and slipped the car key into the pocket of my jacket. I slipped my hand into the other pocket, making sure the 20 bill was still there. I stretched out my ankle, rotating it in circled, letting it crackle and pop until I couldn’t hear any more noises, and opened my room door. I stealthily made my way down, overly cautious of where I placed my feet and weary of any sounds in the house.

Once I reached the very bottom floor, I eased up a little knowing that noises I made would be unheard so many levels under. I slipped my boots on and nervously walked over to the security alarm next to the door that led to the garage. Okay, now for the number. Please let this work! God, I know I don’t pray regularly, but if you help me get through this and get out of Alaska in one piece I swear I will pray every day…okay well maybe not every day, I get kind of busy, but how about once a week? Is that okay? Alaure… what the hell are you doing…trying to negotiate with God. I sighed and shook my head.

 I analyzed the alarm to see if I could double check at least the numbers I had. The most worn out numbers were 1-3-4-5-6 and 9. Yep, that seemed about right.  With trembling fingers I punched in the digits I thought were correct 9-9-1-5-6-4-3, cringing with the sharp beep noise after punching in each number. I took in a deep breath and pressed “confirm”. I stiffened and winced as the alarm loudly called out “Back door unlocked.” I couldn’t bring myself to move. My heart thumped a mile a minute. Could they hear that? Did all the alarms call that out?!

The situation sunk in, giving my body a sharp jolt. If anyone did hear it, I had to move fast. Still keeping fairly quiet, I opened the door and clicked the unlock button on the car remote I had to find out which car I would be taking. The lights on a BMW lit up sending me straight into panic mode. CRAP!!! NO! I didn’t want a luxury car, that wouldn’t do me much good in this awful snow! I needed the truck or something! I groaned, but knew I didn’t have any other choice.

I sat down in the car, inhaling the amazing scent of leather in a car. Mmmm, I loved that smell. I turned the car on with a smooth and nearly silent start. Well that was one good thing. Stupidly, I then realized that I had to open the garage door first. I was about to get out when I realized I could just do it from the controls from the car. I laughed to myself. Maybe this car wasn’t such a bad thing.

I took in a deep breath and held it as the loud rumbling sound of the garage opening echoed through the garage. I stopped the door at just the height I needed to get the car out, quickly reversed and clicked close as I already began to drive away.

I couldn’t help the grin that was plastered on my face. I DID IT! I actually got out of the house without getting caught! YEAHHHH!

“WHOOOO!” I cheered aloud. From my mirror, I watched as the beautiful, grand house became smaller and smaller until it was simply a fading memory.

What's going to happen to Alaure? Do you think she'll get home? Find Jayden soon? Do you think she'll get caught by Damon or someone else? Do you WANT her to escape?

COMMENT! Please :) I get so happy coming home from school and seeing all your comments :D They're fun to read and they put a smile on my face :] Make me a happy camper.

If I get enough comments, I'll try and put the chapter up early :) I've already started it today, and boy are you all in for a ride.

Fun Fact: Forget-Me-Not is Alaska's state flower.

Fun Fact 2: The numbers I used for the code was the total number of people who viewed a song called "Alice (Disney Remix)" on youtube. :P I was listening to it while I wrote this chapter last night hehe.