32: You aren't a Burden to me

Chapter 32.

K.a.t.e pov:
________________________

"Why you didn't eat anything, Jacky?"

Jacky my new friend just look at me with his round big blue eyes as he was fiddling with his fingers and shuffling on his feet. It was after we performed, now we were gathering in the lunch room with the other kids including the bullies who are glaring at me from the far corner.

"I..I didn't bring lunch box, my daddy don't know how to cook"

"Oh" I pout " My mommy always cook for me, she cook the best food in the world. Today she made me Seafood pasta my favorite, you wanna share?"  I look at him hopefully.

"Seafood? But I cannot eat clams or oysters, I get sick if I eat that." He carefully took a seat beside me.

"Ew... clams and oysters are gross... I don't like them either,  don't worry my mommy never cook that for me."

The little tug on my hand bring me back to reality. I was having the moment of my life with Jack, the same lanky little boy I met when I was six. He has grown into an amazing guy, tall and lean but muscular. He's still the same sweet guy I knew for the short of time we share in the past, though.

I look up from the ground only to feel my feet froze and my eyes widened in the sight of my old sperm donor standing near the main entrance of Jack's apartment building.

No. No, I don't want to meet him now.

Suddenly all of those nights when I heard mom cries memories rushing back into my mind, the image is so vivid and feel like it's just happened last night. Almost every morning I see the state of my sleepless mom made me want to protect her but I couldn't do anything then. Now the cause of her pain is standing in front of me with pleading and guilty eyes, but what the use of all that now?

Grayson took a step toward me and my sanity jerk to wake, without saying a word  I  turn around and run out of there as fast as I  can.

"Kate!"

I ignored Jack's call and continue to run and run as far away as I can from him.

He maybe my father,  but he's been absent from the last seventeen years of my life. Where was he when I need him the most? Where was he when my mom need him the most? And suddenly he's popping out of nowhere as if nothing happens? I am sorry,  but I can't just talk to him and forgive him as if his mistake was minor. I still don't understand why he left us, and growing up I  come to know  that he never divorced my mother. What kind of man is that?

He was literally make a new family without breaking the bond with his previous family and never feed us as well.

I can easily put the blame on Jack for inviting me here, but that would be not fair to him. Nobody knows about him in my life

After what feel like hours of running marathon, my legs started to give up on me and I stumbles a little, luckily there's a street lamp pole that I can grab to steady myself. By now, tears was staining my face, and the cold night send shivers my whole body as my breath labored and heavy.

"What a beautiful girl doing all alone in this fine night?" 

A deep raspy voice startled me causing me to turn and face two young drunken man standing a few feets away from me. Whiskey bottles in hand, disheveled hairs, messy appearances and red eyes fixed on me. Cold breezes causing goosebumps to rise on my bare skins and my body alert with fear. Not again.