19. Intruder

Chapter 19.

I whipped my head to Jack, too fast that I might cracked my neck in the process, but I'm surprised it's still stay on it place.

"It's not like what you think it is Kate, that girl is Maya one of my old friends,

Nick's words when I bumped into him on the street replaying again in my head.  Maya is his old friend also happen to be his long bestfriend's girlfriend.

I rubbed my face in frustration but hopefully it's not showing in my face because Jack doesn't need it. As much as it was hurting me, it hurt him even more. He lost his bestfriend at the same time he lost his girlfriend.

How small this world can be?

There's hurt displayed on his face although I only see the side of him. I stare at him wide eyed and open mouthed. Gaping like a fish out of water, trying to say something but nothing came out. Jack turn to me and smile bitterly.

"The day you told me about your Breakup, I know how it feels because I was there before, I never thought the guy who hurt you was happened to be someone I knew and it's just, shocking. Although I never loved her. It just hurt to see their betrayal. I trust Nicholas like my brother, even I trust him more than I trust Charlie, can you imagine that?. I avoiding both of them after that because I'm afraid I will lost control. I'm not mad if they just told me rather than doing it behind my back. I would gladly support them. I really do. But yesterday when I saw he was talking to you I lose it. I thought he was going to ruin everything for me again"

I'm stunned. I don't have a word to say, but other than that. I feel disgusted with what Nick has done. He's hurting me, but I already forgave him in order to move on. But what he does to his friend isn't acceptable. He ruined the beautiful friendship they once have.

But what he mean by his last sentence, I can't guess it. But I will leave it for now.

Carefully, I reach forward to squeeze his hand. Our boat stopped in the middle of the lake, both of us has stopped paddling. Jack lift his gaze to me and over me his weak smile.

"I don't know what to say, but thank you for telling me." I smiled at him.

"No. Thank you for listening, I'm jealous of you, you take whatever Nick has done to you better than I was." He said.

"I have to, that time my life isn't just about me, and if I keep putting myself down after the Breakup it will killing me slowly. So I forced myself to accept it in order for me to move on."

"Have you?"

"What?"

"Move on?"

"I think I am. My mom health distracting me, and when I'm mourning her I don't have a time to think about Nick. And the thought of him never come up. Until yesterday morning when he texted me to meet up."

I visibly see Jack tense up through the corner of my eyes. He balled his fist but not trying to look at me.

"What did he want anyway?" He said through gritted teeth although he tried to sound normal.

"I don't know." This time Jack turn to me with raised eyebrow but I just shrugged my shoulders. "I mean, he was about to say something when you show up and beat the living shit out of him." I giggle at the end of my statement

Jack smirks. "I am sorry, I should have let him explain rather than going rabid to him." He said, chuckling. "The fucker deserve it thought, not for me. But for you." He said, looking at me with tender eyes and a small smile on his face made my heart feels contented.