17 - Deja Vù

Chapter 17:

I shrieked and jump a step backward in reflect. Jack fall flat laying on my threshold with a thud, lift up his bright blue eyes which looks slightly darker now, at me. He grin widely, showing off his perfect set of teeth and a single dimple.

"Kate, (hiccup)." He stretching out both of his hands at me, pouting like a little boy while a hiccups left his lips every now and then. Is he drunk? . He look a total mess with his hairs and clothes out of place.

"Have you been drinking Jack?." I asked him while grabbing his wrist and tried to pull him up to his feet. But he didn't budge. He's so damn heavy. What did he eat?

"Just um..." He pull one of his hand and using his thumb and forefinger to make a very small gap in between then shoving it in my face narrowly smack my face in the process. "This much."

"It doesn't look like it." I mumble.

Using all my strength I tried again to pull him, but he pulled me instead. Jerking me forward and made me fall in his arms. A whiff of air leave my mouth from the impact and my heart start to beat faster. Our faces are just a few inches apart, our eyes glued to each other and he move inching closer to me, but before anything could happen I blinked a few times and back away. Standing up awkwardly, I try to calm my stupid racing heart.

"Help me (hiccup) stand." Again he stretching out his hands up at me.

Taking a few times of deep breaths, I face him with smile plastered on my face. Remembered the one time he was taking care of me during my break down at his bar and drank my shit out. I want to do the same thing for him.

"Come on, get up." I put his arm around my shoulder to help him stand. This time I successfully made him stand, but his feet seems like rooted in the threshold. It's just few steps to the couch in my living room but I already struggle to move forward.

A few minutes and three steps later.

"Why are you drinking Jack?, I never seen you this wasted before." I ask, while trying my best to drag him to the couch. Just few steps more, I chant to myself

"I don't want (hiccup) you to see... Mee (hiccup) like a lunatic (hiccup)." Suddenly the image from this morning incident greet me like a slideshow film. I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Why are you so pissed with Nick?" I ask the question carefully. If what I think is true, Jack and Nicholas has a history together, I need to be careful bringing the sore subject. I don't want to deal with a mad Jack at this very moment. That would be a nightmare, although I didn't think he is the kind of guy who could hit a girl.

Suddenly Jack lunged forward and drop on the couch two feets away from us, leaving me standing there dumbfounded. What just happened?. Did I say something wrong?

He turn around on his spot and facing me with narrowed eyes and then he settles down on the couch. The eyes that I always saw full of spirit and life, this time it's filled with hurt, pain and.... Betrayal? For a moment there, he look vulnerable, but it's gone as fast as it's appear on his face. My heart clenched a bit with the discovery. What made him feel like that? What was actually happened to him?

"Nick (hiccup) don't deeserve (hiccup) youuu. You are... (Hiccup) to.... Goood (hiccup) for that prick." Jack said slurring. "I am soorry (hiccup) for.... Thiss mooorning mess." He added. Stretching his hand out for me to take.

I eyeing his stretches hand warily, not sure why. But hesitantly I take his in mine and he pull me to seat beside him on the couch. He cup my face and study my face, trying to decipher whatever emotions or expression written on my face.