My gut instinct was telling me something, but I nodded my head casually. The dull-faced maid plastered a smile on her face while the timid maid left the room. "You look gorgeous today, milady."

        'I know', was what I wanted to say. "Thank you," was what actually came out of my mouth.

        It didn't take long for the timid maid to retrieve my hanfu, which was gorgeous, not to mention. It was a beautiful red colour with traces of yellow and it looked like something out of a Met Gala. I ran my fingers through the fabric.

        "This is beautiful!" I was in awe. The brocade fabric on the sleeves of the hanfu felt so authentic. The yellow fabric was silk. I love silk. I want to rub my entire body against silk. That's how much I love it.

        "You must try it on, milady! His Majesty would love to see you wear it," the timid maid said in excitement.

         She held out her hand for me and I gladly took it. I stood up and let the maids dress me. I didn't care for anyone to see me naked. I did love being naked. Besides, I would do it to be coated in this lavish attire I had obtained.

        I strutted out of my chamber and noticed the emptiness of the residence. I was late. With the two maids behind me, we both quickly jogged to the hall. My heart was racing. My anger was urging me to punish the maids but I didn't want to waste my time even more. When I arrived, the maids were gone. With fear, I entered the hall and it didn't take long for all eyes to be on me. The princes and princesses looked nervous. Chang Ying gawked at me. She looked concerned. She tried to mouth something but I shook my head in confusion. Chang Ying frustratedly pointed at the rest of the concubines and my heart stopped.

        How stupid can I be? 

      All the concubines and consorts weren't wearing red. I faced the Imperial couple with horror. Again, how foolish could I be? I'm not allowed to wear red.

        I am not allowed to wear red.

        I looked behind myself again and still, no signs of the maids that raised skepticism in me. Hua Er was nowhere to be found. Where did she go? My hands started to shake. Everyone was looking at me not because of how good I looked, but because I was committing a crime! Was it a crime? I don't know! But it was against the rules! 

        "What is the meaning behind this?" the Empress yelled. She was already standing up from her throne, already built up with the anger she needed to put me in my place.

        My eyes started watering. "Wait, Empress, this was a misunderstanding!"

       Others just sat and watched. It was too many people... way more than I expected there to be. There was horror on their faces, on everyone's faces for that matter. Even Niu Lin looked a bit shocked as well. I felt the heat of my embarrassment rushing to my face. 

        This was going to traumatize me.

      "What misunderstanding? That you wore red colours to mock me? To mock His Majesty and me? Was that it?" The Empress was screaming now.

      "Please appease your anger, Empress! Let me explain!" I choked on my words, getting on my knees immediately and kowtowing repeatedly to her. Oh, my pride... My ego was bruised. I couldn't even get angry at the maids because of the heat of the moment.

        I do not want to be executed.

      The Empress Dowager raised her hand, her palm facing the rest of the people watching how this event will occur. "Empress, that is enough. Let's let Noble Consort Han give us her explanation."