It Will Never be the Same

A flash of claws and a twisted smile. Ice water and the promise of death.

J screamed as agony tore through her body, heating her veins until she thought she might explode.

She woke in a panic. Sweat clinging to her forehead and sliding down her back. Breathing hard she glared at the room around her until the dark shadows began to fade and the lingering memories dissipated.

Raising a hand to her chest, J pulled her knees up and rested her forehead against them, the bed sheet pooling in her lap. "I'm OK." she whispered, "everything's going to be OK."

Raising her head, a cool wind brushed over her skin and made her shudder. She didn't have to look to know that Logan wouldn't be in bed. He never was when she woke in the early hours, chased from sleep by her memories, whilst he was kept from sleep by his.

Slowly, she slid her legs out from under the covers and stood up, swaying as a wave of tiredness crashed against her. Steadying herself on the bedside table, she quietly picked her way across the room and slipped out onto the balcony where she found Logan.

He turned towards her out of habit, but his gaze caught on her face when he noticed the red rimmed eyes and tears. He looked as troubled as ever, as he sighed sadly and held out his hand towards her.

"You had the dream again." he stated more than asked.

J shrugged giving him a small, sad smile, and wiped at her face, taking his hand and allowing him to pull her onto his lap. "I'd probably miss it, if it stopped."

He scoffed and wrapped his arms tightly around her. J's wolf nestled into his embrace, calmed by the presence of her mate. 'We'll be OK'. She promised herself.

"You haven't slept at all?" She asked as she traced a finger across Logan's chest, marvelling at the peace such a simple act could bring her. She had her mate. She was safe.

He rubbed a hand across his face and shook his head.

They'd been travelling for a week, going from motel to motel as they headed towards her new home, the Black Oath pack territory. The journey had been uneventful, but J's wolf was on high alert.

They'd finally heard from Jonathon & Saf yesterday after hundreds of unreturned calls. Saf had hit some trouble during her investigation and now they were planning to meet J, Logan and the others at the pack territory tomorrow.

J was nervous about seeing her new home, excited even. She was so tired that she just hoped she'd be able to get some rest once there. Maybe then she wouldn't have nightmares, maybe then she'd feel safe.

"Do you know how long the drive will be tomorrow?" she asked softly.

Logan smiled, "you mean today? It's 4am, Jos'."

J hid her smile behind her hand. Every time he called her Jos' or Josephine her stomach fluttered. She had a name. She had a mate. She had a pack. She had a family. "Good point." She yawned and stretched, "I'm going to try to get some sleep."

Reluctantly, Logan let her go. "Come with me?" She whispered and Logan's heart stilled.

She had no right. No right to be so beautiful, even when she'd barely slept in a week, even when memories she wouldn't talk about hounded her every step, even when she was still haunted by all that she'd gone through.

How he'd got lucky enough to have her as his mate, he had no idea. The Goddess must have really screwed up somewhere - not that he was complaining. She deserved so much more than his broken ass.

Easing himself to his feet, he stretched and winced as his muscles protested. He'd tried to sleep. Tried to lay beside her and take comfort in the soft sounds of her even breathing, but every time he closed his eyes, the darkness waited for him. The clawing, overwhelming sense of doom trickled down his spine until he was wrapped in fear and his wolf began to fray at the edges.

He silently followed Josephine back into the motel room and let her lead him to the bed. They laid besides one another, Jos' curled into his side and he willed his wolf to calm down, to let him rest beside his mate.

He listened as her breaths turned heavier, slower, as her body sagged against him. And so, he once more watched the sunrise on another day, the sunlight burning away the memory of the dark.