Taken

CALLIE

Her lungs burned with the effort. Her arms and legs pumping, driving her further and further away from the strange men and their guns. She barrelled past trees, leapt over any obstacle until she finally caught sight of somewhere that looked safe.

Her hands shook as she pulled out her phone and dialled a number she didn't want to ring - but she couldn't leave Saf with those men.

He answered on the second ring.

"Caleb! Someone's taken Saf! They put her in a car and-"

He didn't speak but his growl was audible down the phone. Not at the idea that Saf had been taken, no she knew that he was angry. She'd promised she wouldn't leave. "Caleb, stop it. Listen to me. Saf has been taken!" She screamed down the phone.

His growl was low, so low that it took her a moment to pick it up. Instead, goosebumps whispered over her skin as a sense of dread trickled down her spine. His wolf went to speak but Jonathon's voice cut through.

"What did you just say about Saf?"

Callie sighed in relief. "She's gone. She was taken. I-"

Before she could finish her sentence, she heard Jonathon run away. The others began to appear, Jonathon no doubt having called them across the packlink. Callie cursed herself, she needed to work out how to do that. She was struggling with the adjustment. She could only listen as the pack gathered around Caleb (who still hadn't spoken).

There was jumbled noise, voices piling over each other before finally Callie heard someone snatch the phone and then the other voices quietened down as the person walked away.

"Callie?" J's voice slid over her, calming her instantly. She hasn't realised how panicked she'd been until now.

"J, someone's taken Saf-"

"Are you safe?"

Callie blinked and glanced around her, she'd run into an alley and was currently crouched between two large bins. The stench was disgusting but if it kept her hidden from the men, then she'd happily stay here.

"Yes. Ish. I have some money left, I'll get another hotel room somewhere else. Are you coming J?" Callie was slightly embarrassed by the level of whine in her voice but she was scared and she wanted her alpha.

"I'll be with you as soon as I can Cal'. Get a room, get safe and then text me your address. Hopefully I'll be with you by nightfall. Don't worry about Saf, Jonathon's gone after her. He'll bring her home."

"O-ok, J."

J's voice quietened as she spoke to the rest of the pack.

"Zander, Will, Caleb. Go, find Saf. Elenor, stay with Logan. I'll take the car and get Callie. As soon as anyone sees anything, you contact me. Got it?"

With a round of 'yes alphas', every one darted into varying directions. Callie heard movement and the beep of a car unlocking.

"Get to safety Callie. I'm on my way."

Suddenly, Callie had never felt so safe.

*

SAF

In her humble opinion, the chains that were looped through metal holes in the floor were ever so slightly overkill. True, she was secretly proud of the threat they obviously thought she was but rope to bind her wrists and feet, a gag that was agitating a spot she'd had just in the corner of her mouth for the last two weeks, and ties that held her to the metal chair they'd dumped her in, were enough. The floor chains were just an overreaction.

And typically, although she could probably break the cable ties holding her to the chair, and might be able to untie the ropes that bound her limbs, she didn't have any bolt cutters with her. And by all appearances, these chains were heavy duty.

So, with a large amount of reluctance, Saf had to admit that she was stuck.

She sighed around the gag and leaned her head back, cricking her neck. She'd spent hours bundled in the trunk of the SUV before they'd finally reached their destination. She didn't need to feel the slight zing on the outskirts of the territory to know who had her.

She was innocent but, as promised, Marissa had successfully made her mate angry enough to keep living – only to track Saf down no doubt with the intent of killing her. Painfully.

She'd been sat in this airless room for a while now. It was run down, abandoned even, so Saf couldn't help but wonder exactly where in the alpha's packlands they were. She didn't recall any abandoned buildings on the maps Gee had provided. She'd have to remember their location and get them updated.

She also really needed the toilet.

Finally, she picked up footsteps heading her way. She waited as patiently as she could for them to reach the door. There were four sets if she wasn't mistaken. No doubt the alpha and three of his enforcers.

The door rattled and opened and in he strode – alpha Nicholas – all 6ft2 of him. He was, if nothing else, quite good looking. He was also a bit of a d*ck.

His wolf watched her intently as he came to stop in front of her. He hadn't even spoken before he back handed her across the face – the crack of his hand against her cheek echoing around the chamber.

"I'm going to make you pay for what you did to my wife. I'm going to make you hurt so bad that you will be begging me to end you. But I won't. Not until me and my wolf feel like we've got the revenge we deserve. This is our healer, Edgar." He motioned with his head to a short man lingering in the background. He looked uneasy but unsurprised. He might not enjoy it but something told Saf that this wasn't the first time he'd overseen his alpha torture someone. "Whenever you get too near to death he'll be the one to bring you back." Nicholas gripped her chin in a punishing hold and sneered down at her. "We can't have you dying too easily now, can we?" He finished with a smile that any movie psychopath would be proud of.

Saf couldn't speak, the gag limiting her communication but that didn't stop her trying.

"Hoh-huh-wor-vorvot?" She mumbled.

Nicolas's crazed smile deepened. "Are you really begging for your life already? Now this I have to hear." He snatched the gag from her mouth, bruising her skin in the process.

Saf licked her dry lips and cleared her throat.

"I said, where is the toilet?"