Perfection

CASSIDY

"Mummy?"

Cassidy groaned and buried herself in her sheets, hoping against all hope that if she didn't move then maybe her daughter would think she was asleep and instead go and bother her father.

"Mummy?" Uma asked, pulling Cassidy's ankle. The only problem was that Uma was not a normal child – she was a wolf cub – so a tug on an ankle had a little more strength than your average toddler.

Cassidy yelled out as she hit the floor and rubbed her sore elbow. Turning to face her daughter and ready to tell her off, the words melted in her throat. In one hand she held the paw of her favourite teddy which had been a gift from Doc. As ever, those wide brown eyes were watching her so intently. She was beautiful.

"Hello Uma," she greeted, sweeping the little girl into a hug. Cassidy held her tightly against her chest as she awkwardly clamboured to her feet and headed out onto the landing. Uma nestled into her and Cassidy couldn't help but smile. She could hear Jake whistling in the kitchen and smiled warmly as she padded down the stairs and paused in the doorway.

He was busy washing the dishes from Uma's breakfast, lost to the world, as he whistled a tune that Cassidy couldn't quite place. She watched the muscles in his back moving as he worked, enjoying the sight of her mate.

"Morning." She whispered softly. Watching as his spine straightened and the small dish he'd been washing slid out of his grasp and landed softly in the bowl of water.

He turned towards her, reaching for a tea towel to dry his hands but paused when he caught sight of his daughter in her arms.

*

JAKE

He wasn't sure he could ever get tired of this view.

His entire world in one frame – his heart felt so full that it might burst. He practically stalked towards Cassidy, focused solely on his she-wolf. But his daughter had other ideas and just as Jake swept down to kiss Cassidy, Uma shoved her teddy bear into his face and informed him that he'd hurt his knee and needed him to kiss it better.

Cassidy chuckled. Jake narrowed his eyes and growled at her softly.

"Evil woman." He muttered with a wink before addressing his daughter and snatching the bear from Uma's tiny hands.

"You mean Sir Bear has been injured? Why didn't you tell me sooner, I'd have called for help!" Jake cried, loving the sound of his daughter's laughter filling the room. Cradling the bear to his chest he span around in a circle. "I'll ring Leah immediately. We need the very best to save him." Uma watched him with glee as he gently placed the bear on the dining table.

"Do not worry my little cub", Jake continued as he gripped Uma's small cute face in his hands, "for I will never let anything happen to him!"

Uma giggled in response as Jake fished his phone out of his pocket. He pressed a number and waited patiently, making faces at Uma the entire time.

"It's gone to voicemail!" He stage whispered. "Leah, come quick. There's been a terrible incident, Sir Bear has been injured!" Uma's giggling ended the message.

Gently placing the bear on the sofa, Jake grabbed a blanket from the basket tucked into the corner of the room and swaddled Sir Bear until only his tiny black nose and eyes were visible. "Worry not, Sir Bear, we will not leave your side until you're better."

Cassidy crouched down beside him, gently placing Uma beside Sir Bear on the sofa. Jake's arm wrapped around Cassidy and pulled her close to him. She leant her head against his chest and for a moment, Jake thought he might have witnessed perfection.

*

CASSIDY

It was hours later when Cassidy had just finished the lunch rush at the diner that her phone rang.

Thanking the last customer as they left the diner, she ducked into the small office and grabbed her phone out of her desk drawer.

"J! It's so good to hear from you. How are y-"

Cassidy sat heavily into her office chair. "J, ar-are you sure, I?"

Goosebumps spread across her skin and she span sharply to face the desk, resting her elbows against it. "I understand. And of course J. Of course. Are you OK, do you need me to-? OK. OK. I-I'll speak to you soon. Good bye J." she ended in a whisper as the line went dead.

Cassidy sat back in her chair and let J's request wash over her. Snapping back to her senses, Cassidy jumped to her feet and went off in search of her mate.