Heart

LEAH

"Do you think I'm cured?"

Leah startled at the question, the one they'd been dancing around for the last few days as they moved from the bedroom to the kitchen and back again. She'd never been so happy but she also knew that it wasn't going to last forever. Especially if Jack insisted on asking questions like that.

She glared down at the piece of toast she'd been spreading jam on and slowly turned to face him, planting her arms against the kitchen side where he sat. "Honestly? I don't know." And she didn't. Sure, his wolf had been fully under control for the last week but that didn't mean he was completely fixed. "If only you'd let me try to heal you then I'd have a better idea." Her voice was bitter, it was a topic they kept clashing on.

His face darkened and he sighed irritably, but still there was no sign of his wolf. Standing up, he walked around until he was in front of her and placed his hands on her hips and leaned his forehead down to rest on hers. "I don't want to risk you getting injured. I-I am in control of my wolf but there's still pain. Still memories that don't make sense. I still have nightmares, though they've been lessened with you by my side." He reached up and brushed a strand of hair from her face. "I love you. You are it for me. And if anything happened to you..."

She stood there, silenced by his words. It was strange, to meet and claim your moonmate so quickly. Just as he did, she knew there would never be another for her. He was her eternity. But love felt like a foreign concept to her. Sure, she'd never been so happy and waking up to him every morning made her heart swell. And she loved being near him, loved doing things for him, loved hearing him speak, but to love him? She didn't know if that's what this feeling was, and for the first time in her life, she didn't much care. Because she knew they had time – time to figure it all out. Time to get to know each other. Time for, hopefully, his memories to return.

Assuming he was healed.

And staring into his eyes she hoped against all hope that he was.

She hoped they had time to find out.

*

J

Arriving back at Black Oath, J hoped out of the SUV and left Callie to go and pack a bag of clothes to take to Rootbridge. It had been decided that they'd all head there and compare notes on the rogue. It was time for them to get to the bottom of the rogue situation.

She walked into the home she shared with Logan to find him sat on the sofa staring into space. Elenor's scent lingered but had faded suggesting she'd left a while ago. J slipped off her coat and shoes and padded towards Logan, suddenly unsure about what to do next.

"Elenor's gone to take a nap. Healing me took it out of her." Logan said solemnly, still staring at the wall.

J nodded and carefully took a seat on the opposite end of the sofa to him. He looked exhausted, his skin pale and deep black circles under his eyes. But he also looked calm, almost empty. His wolf no where to be seen.

"Did Elenor manage to heal you? Completely?" She asked softly.

He sighed, his shoulders drooping and J's chest tightened.

"No, but she managed to ease it a little. I slept without a night terror for the first time. And my wolf is quite calm, now that you're home at least."

Her heart stuttered at the truth in his words. At the love that burned through her chest to the point of pain. She loved him so much, needed him even more, but he was so broken and she just didn't know what to do with it. It wasn't just about her anymore.

She wrapped a protective arm around her middle and Logan finally looked towards her – to the life growing inside her.

"I couldn't believe it when I scented it." He admitted, his voice hoarse, his eyes rimmed with tears. "That the Goddess had granted me everything I'd wanted in this world." He looked up and met her gaze, the pain in it breaking her heart.

"A daughter." J whispered. "We're having a daughter."

Logan took a sharp breath, his eyes widening as a smile broke across his face. "Really? A little girl? She'll be strong, just like you. I bet it. I hope she has your hair. Your eyes. All of you, really." J chuckled and Logan paused to take in a breath. "She'll be beautiful, Jos. And so bloody strong. I can't wait to meet her." They fell into silence as they both contemplated the likelihood of that actually happening.

J sniffed as tears sprang to her eyes and unable to help herself, she launched herself at her mate, who gladly caught her in his arms, and kissed him. They pulled apart after a few moments but Logan still held her close.

"Honestly, a part of me thought you'd never let me kiss you again." He admitted.

"Honestly? Same here." J answered solemnly. She slowly leant back and sat herself on the sofa. "I don't know what we do now, Logan. I don't know if we can heal you. I don't know if you can stay." His head dropped in shame. "But our cub comes first. Always. She always comes first."

Logan placed a hand against the small bump and grazed his thumb across it slowly. "That, my love, is one thing that we will always agree on."