Seethe

LEAH

She hadn't wanted to leave the house. Hadn't really wanted to leave the bedroom if she was honest. Which surprised her because she'd never been this person. She'd always been the reliant one, the one that put everyone before herself. The one who took every punch or insult thrown her way but never reacted back.

Yet suddenly that had changed.

But she'd finally checked her phone – and she'd nearly fainted (again) at the number of messages she'd missed.

From teddy bear emergencies and injured visiting alphas to dire begging for help, the guilt had nearly swallowed Leah whole.

So, showered, dressed and with Jack in tow – because he refused to let her go and face them alone – Leah headed for Darcy's Diner, where her family and friends had gathered to discuss the rogue problem.

And as they walked into the diner, everyone had fallen silent. Leah gave them a small, meek smile and her and Jack took the nearest available seats. But they didn't continue the meeting, they just kept staring.

"That's Jack?" Saf blurted, earning another growl from Jonathon and a few eye rolls from around the table.

"Um, yeh, hi everyone. Oh, hi, you must be alpha Nicholas?" Leah asked the man who still bore a few bruises on his jaw thanks, apparently, to Callie. He only nodded in response. "Um, yes, so, this is Jack. Jack, this is everyone."

Jack, to his credit, gave everyone a friendly wave before slinging his arm around the back of Leah's chair.

Conversation began to restart and Leah released a long breath, relieved they'd not pushed her for information on where she'd been or hated her for abandoning them when they'd clearly needed her.

However, Saf had noted the hand around the back of Leah's chair, and the way the wolf gazed at her friend with nothing but pure adoration in his eyes. She'd seen that look a lot from Jonathon in increasing quantities since that ill-fated kiss in the library.

Ignoring the conversation still going on around them, Saf leant forwards and pinned Leah with a gaze. Leah noticed and must have seen what Saf had realised – her eyes widened and Saf could see the panic on her friend's face.

What Saf had missed, however, was that Jack too had noted Leah's panic – but didn't know why. All he and his wolf knew was that his mate was terrified.

The change was so swift and unrelenting that he didn't have a hope of holding back his wolf and with a loud clatter of his chair, Jack transformed into his wolf, placing himself in front of his mate and herding her back and away from the table until he was sure that she was safe.

That in itself would have been bad enough. But, upon seeing Jack's wolf, Logan's own wolf lunged for the surface and the two wolves met in a clash of claws and fang while everyone else in the room tried to work out with the f*ck had just happened.

*

J

One minute, she'd been sat beside her mate basking in the fact that he was human and she was here surrounded by her family.

The next minute, she was watching Logan and Jack trash the diner as they fought, as everyone dived away from the table and headed to the opposite end of the room.

She watched in muted horror as her mate lunged and gouged out a chunk of Jack's flesh. The wolf roared in response and turned on Logan, swiping him across the face. She went to join in, to save her mate, when Cassidy caught her arm and gave a pointed look at her stomach. The she-wolf was, of course, right. J couldn't risk her cub by diving between two raging wolves but why had Logan gone for him so quickly? Was he really that unsettled still that simply seeing another wolf freak out had sent him rogue already?