Try

ELENOR

It had been a while since she'd seen Logan. And Elenor had forgotten how damned big the wolf was. He was practically the size of an SUV and while Elenor wasn't the smallest of wolf, she was tiny in comparison to him.

He remained some distance from her and for that she was grateful but really she'd needed J to be here to help her communicate with Logan. To heal him, she needed to be in her human form but ideally she'd need a wolf to try to speak to him.

Sighing irritably, she was going to turn back and find J when she spotted someone running through the forest. One of J's wolves – perhaps Jonathon, the big one that seemed irrevocably in love with Saf for some reason. Even if the she-wolf kept denying him.

"Jonathon!" She yelled, making him trip and pause, his eyes scanning the forest until she spotted first Logan, then her.

He approached carefully, clearly torn between wherever he'd been going and, quite rightly, not wanting to leave Elenor alone with Logan – who so far had been suspiciously quiet, instead he'd just watched Elenor. Perhaps calmly, perhaps like he wanted to eat her – she wasn't sure.

"What are you doing?"

Elenor readjusted her jumper. "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm trying to help Logan but J left so..."

Elenor trailed off, noticing she'd lost Jonathon's attention to the forest in front of him. "Am I interrupting something?" she snapped.

"Yes." He cleared his throat, "no. Sorry, no. I just- Saf, she-"

Elenor scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I'm sure wherever Saf is, she is fine and does not need you of all people breathing down her neck. Now, I'm here to hopefully help heal your alpha. So will one of your bloody pack actually help me? PLEASE!" She yelled sending birds flying from the trees around them. Realising she'd shouted in the presence of an unhinged predator, Elenor turned slowly to face Logan, half expecting to catch him leaping for her throat.

Instead, still he silently watched. "Sorry." She winced. "Now," she turned to Jonathon, "shall we?"

Sighing, Jonathon nodded and moved towards her. "What do you need me to do?"

*

"Logan? Logan can you hear me?" she asked gently, hovering over the unconscious but human form of Logan.

He stirred, his face creasing in a frown as he raised a hand to cup his head.

"It 'urts." He mumbled. She glanced at Jonathon who stood beside her, worry marring his otherwise handsome face. She wasn't sure why Saf didn't want him with a face like that.

"I know, it will. Logan if you can, could you open your eyes?"

Slowly, he complied. Human eyes focused on Elenor and she let out a small breath. She hadn't been able to fully heal him. She wasn't sure anyone would be able to. But she had managed to heal some of whatever damage they'd done to him. Enough, anyway. For now.

"Logan." She smiled at him. "It's good to see you."

"Where's Jos'?" Jonathon chuckled. Elenor's smile deepened, touched by his love for her.

"She's safe, she's fine. Look, Logan, I haven't been able to heal you, not fully. That's why everything's probably a bit fuzzy right now. J said you knew you were getting worse? That you'd been talking and walking like a normal human but that you were having lapses of control?"

Logan nodded, his face flushing – Elenor thought to the bruises on J's neck and grimaced.

"Had to leave. Had to keep her safe. Both safe." He growled, his voice rough.

Elenor recoiled in surprise, glancing at Jonathon to see if he'd picked up on the "both" bit. He simply looked confused. Readjusting her stance, and regretting crouching down in the first place as it caused old injuries to ache, she placed a hand against Logan's shoulder.

"Do you know?"

Logan met her gaze and nodded once.

"Is that really why you went?"

Logan nodded again.

"What are you two talking about?" Jonathon snapped.

Logan sighed a very tired sigh and put his head in his hands. Elenor stood back up, her leg and back screaming at the movement. In this form, crumpled on the floor with his head in his hands, Logan was not as intimidating as she remembered.

"Jos' is pregnant. She was pregnant when I attacked her, I scented it. It was-I think it was the only thing that stopped me from k-" he choked on his words and Elenor's stomach tightened.

"I'm so sorry, Logan." She whispered. To know you'd nearly killed your own mate is one thing. But to know that she was carrying his cub at the time. No wonder he'd left.

"I want to get better, I do. But I can't risk them. Not again."

Elenor nodded and took a deep breath – just like her therapist had taught her when it felt like the walls were caving in around her.

"I can try again. I can keep trying. Perhaps with treatments every day, we can stave off your rogue side. Rootbridge won't miss me – some of them will be decidedly pleased to see the back of me – so I'll stay here and keep treating you. That way, you can be here to protect J and your cub, without putting them in danger." She announced, knowing it was the right course of action, she knew it in her gut.

"Do you think that'll actually work?" Jonathon asked.

"I have no idea." She answered honestly. "But it's worth a shot."