Unspoken

CALLIE

Callie couldn't face the pack that evening. She'd managed to avoid them all day despite Caleb's constant attempts to speak to her. When she heard the pack heading for the fire pit – no doubt where they'd settle down for the rest of the evening, she risked heading back into her hut.

Having spent most of the afternoon in the forest, she felt a little calmer. Her wolf didn't. She was pacing relentlessly inside of her. Her skin itched and her wolf bucked and strained against her hold in a way she hadn't done for years. For so long, Callie had lived seamlessly with her wolf, now it felt like they were at loggerheads and Callie knew exactly why that was.

"You're leaving."

That voice. Damn it. Callie paused, cheeks flushing as her stomach tightened with guilt. She hadn't checked to see if the hut was empty, she'd assumed everyone was by the fire. She should have known better. Dropping the few pieces of clothing she'd managed to grab, she slowly turned around to face Caleb.

"What did you promise him?" He asked, his body humming with anger as he faked a calm demeanour, dwarfing the single bed as he sprawled over it.

Callie sighed and leant against the rickety dinner table, running a hand through her hair. This is not how she'd wanted to have this conversation – in fact, she'd planned to avoid it entirely by disappearing before they were any the wiser.

"I promised to consider his offer." She mumbled, fumbling with the zip on her jacket, looking for something to do, anything, rather than look at him again. For a start, having him sprawled across her bed like that, looking like something out of her daydreams was not helpful. She couldn't decide if she wanted him or hated him – possibly both.

He crossed the room in an instant until he filled her personal space, catching her off guard. She'd seen him annoyed, seen him protective, but there was something new in his anger today – something that sent a tiny thrill through her middle – possession. Her wolf smiled wide.

His lean body loomed over hers just as it had so many times in her dreams. She slowly looked up at him, to see the pain and anger rioting on his face. Her chest constricted and she regretted waiting until evening to leave. She should have risked it during the daylight.

"How could you?" He growled, as his arms caged her against the table, sending her heart cartwheeling through her chest. The effect he had on her was magnificent, terrifying, utterly addictive.

She wasn't sure there'd ever been a time that he didn't have an effect on her. Wasn't sure there ever would be. She'd watched him from the moment they met and he'd always made sure to linger near her. They got on well, friends from the outset, but there was always something more – or so she hoped.

The day they'd seen her old pack, it was like something had changed. He'd always kept her at a distance, always been prim and proper with her. That day...it was like the air had shifted, the world tilting on its axle, like a damn breaking its banks. Suddenly, she couldn't move for him – didn't want to, either.

Maybe it was knowing she was older than he thought. Maybe it was the risk of losing her to her old pack. She wasn't sure – didn't much care. That first night, he'd held her tight as memories she couldn't understand surfaced and nightmares clawed at her sanity. He'd held her every night since. She never thought she'd have this – hadn't even dared to dream of it – hadn't known to dream of it. Now she felt like she was so close – so very, very close and yet stood to lose it all.

Being around him was intoxicating, and her wolf was in agreement. Which only made the little matter of her moonmate even more painful. Why? Why of all the times, of all the days, of all the packs, did they have to find not only her old pack – as if that wasn't confusing enough – but her moonmate too?

Did the world hate her? It kinda felt like the world hated her.

She had no memory of her old pack, not really. Her wolf did. Fear. Fear and loathing. Paralysing fear like she'd never felt before. It was that sensation that haunted her dreams. Only Caleb's presence could chase it away.

So now, here she was with the wolf who spent his days lingering too near to touch and his nights running through her dreams, and yet she couldn't have him. Not really. Because despite the silent wishes she'd made, he was not her moonmate. He did not belong to her. Whatever they had remained unacknowledged between them. He'd been closer, more attentive but still hadn't crossed the line – not quite. They were friends with the added benefit of potentially being in love and being too afraid to say it.

Too soon. Too young. So many excuses for fear.

He was angry. Truly angry at the thought of her leavening, perhaps at the thought of her going to her moonmate. Would he begrudge her that? Would he hurt to know she was with him?

She was conflicted between telling him the truth and lying to make the pain less later, maybe if he thought she would be happy with her mate then it would provide some comfort...but in the end she opted for the truth. "I'm not actually going to go to him, I just needed to buy some time to make a run for it."

She turned away, pushing him off of her until she could pace around the room, pretending to collect her belongings and pack but too distracted by the wolf looming over the centre of the room.

"Where will you go?" He said solemnly, still stood where she'd left him.

Callie paused and threw the jumper in her hands to the floor in frustration. "I don't know! I have no idea. I just...I can't stay here, can't go to him...I just want to be free."

A question popped into her mind, one she hadn't even bared let herself think about or consider, but without thought she said it, "come with me?"

As soon as the words were out, she knew she'd made a mistake.

"Callie, I-" He choked out, surprise and bitter disappointment twisting his face.

Callie gave him a small, sad smile. "You can't." She answered for him, what little hope she had, tasted like ash in her mouth.

He took a step towards her but thought better of it and took a step back, shaking his head he dropped into a chair and put his head into his hands.

It was the unspoken between them. Whatever they had was unquantifiable, and now knowing that she wasn't his moonmate, why would he want to leave his pack for her? Plus-

"J," he whispered from where he sat before he slowly looked up at her. "I can't leave her. I've just found her. And like this? With her mate attacking her – stalking her from beyond the pack perimeter? And her acting like it's totally normal – all of us acting as though this isn't the weirdest situation ever. I can't leave her. I can't...not even for you."

That last part made his words hurt a little less. Not much less, but a little. Taking a deep breath to stop herself from crying, she smiled at him gently and slowly walked towards him until she could lean the palm of her hand against his cheek. "You wouldn't be you, if you could. I'll be fine. I'm used to being on my own. Good at it." She hoped her words were more convincing than they felt. "Stay and look after her. I'll go – to look after her, all of you. I'm not starting a pack war over this, you've already got enough going on with the rogues. I'll be fine."

Liar.

"Just stay a little longer," Caleb begged, "just a few more days, please. Just, let's see if Elenor can help Logan, see if Saf's investigation gets us anywhere, please...just wait a little longer."

Callie drew in a small, sharp breath. "Ok, I'll stay. Just a few more days and then I have to leave."

He sighed in relief, a smile sweeping his face making her heart skip a beat.

"Thank you. Thank you." He repeated as he swept her into a hug.

"I'll stay." She whispered into his tight embrace as a singular tear traced down her cheek.

Liar.

A/N
More on Friday....