Normal

SAF

It was remarkably normal the way they all sat around the dining table as though she hadn't been kidnapped by one of them and mauled in the library by another. They didn't speak of either of those things of course, instead, so far, the conversation had been quite light.

As the starters were brought out, they'd discussed the weather. As main course had arrived, they turned to the Wolf Council and how ineffective it was. By dessert, the need to address the elephant in the room had Saf squirming in her seat.

"I didn't kill Marissa." She yelled just as dessert was placed in front of her. The waiter serving her jumped, knocking the glass dish – and its contents – across the table. He went to apologise and clear it up but Saf shooed him away and instead focused on Nicholas.

"I know. That's why you're not dead."

Saf let out a long breath. "I assumed. But I wanted you to know that I meant what I said when you were trying to torture me-" Jonathon's growl slid across the room until it wrapped around Saf's skin. "-I wasn't just saying it to convince you to release me. Although it worked, obviously," she said, gesturing to her very much still intact limbs. "but I really didn't."

Nicholas sighed and leaned back in his chair, ignoring the anger rolling from Jonathon in waves. "When you told me what Marissa had said, I knew you were telling the truth. Only she would have been stupid enough – kind enough – to think she was doing it for me. I knew there was something wrong with her but I had no idea just what they had done to her."

Saf sighed softly, sadly. "I'm sorry they took her. I'm sorry they turned her rogue. It happened to Black Oath's alpha too. Logan. He was taken and escaped but-" she fell silent as the weight of her words settled in the room. Even Jonathon's anger had vanished at the mention of Logan's name.

Nicholas glanced around at the five wolves he dined with and resettled himself in his chair. "Look, I will help, in any way I can. I want the men who did this to Marissa. So anything you need from me, it's yours." He held Saf's gaze for a minute, watching the she-wolf flit from grateful to strategic and back again. From the moment he'd met her, he'd been slightly enamoured with her. He'd assumed that was why Marissa had been so cruel to her at any available opportunity, but now it appeared that it had all been part of her carefully laid plans.

He missed her brilliance – missed having a mate to share his life with. He'd have been tempted to consider Saf if it hadn't been for the overgrown wolf who insisted upon following her around like a giant, raging shadow.

He glanced at the angry beast, sneering at the sheer size of him. Rolling his eyes he focused back on the pretty she-wolf. "Tell me what you need, Saf."

*
A/N
So, yesterday. I was on a bit of a roll and after pre-writing ten chapters, I then went ahead and FINISHED IT!

So, I can officially confirm that there are 19 chapters remaining.

The end is near.

And I apologise in advance.