Regrets

SAF

On the third day of their epically awkward car journey, Saf was about ready to beg the world to swallow her whole. In fact, she had decided that she would rather face the entire rogue compound on her own than she would have to sit beside a silently seething Jonathon for another moment longer. Between the awkward silence and the cold, lonely nights, she was thoroughly p*ssed off and just about ready for a fight.

So, when word came through that they'd located the compound, Saf knew that within the next 24 hours she would get her wish.

Of course, she was first to volunteer for surveillance duties – having done it as part of her job with the Wolf Council anyway, but it also meant a night away from Jonathon and from the rest of the pack who were a little less than pleased with her. J, to her credit, had tried to calm them down but they really weren't that interested in listening. Plus, Logan and J had been so lovey dovey that it was beginning to make Saf feel a little sick, so time away from the pack sounded like a great idea.

Of course, she hadn't expected to be paired with Alpha Nicholas, although in retrospect she was likely the only person who could be trusted not to kill him. Guards or no guards. And so, she found herself camped out with Nicholas, shivering in the rapidly cooling night air as they watched the compound for any sign of movement.

"Your mate seems annoyed with you." Nicholas said after the first hour of silence had come and gone.

Saf glared at him and continued starting through the binoculars. "He's not my mate. But he is angry with me."

"Oh. I assumed by now he'd have claimed you."

Saf sighed irritably and ignored him.

"You know, if you don't want him, I'd happily take you in."

"Take me..." She slammed the binoculars down in anger and turned on her side to glare at him. "I am not some homeless wolf looking for a new owner."

"Well, I didn't mean it that way. But if that's the kind of thing you're into, I can get on board-"

"Stop. Just. Stop. Before I kill you. Stop."

"Suit yourself." The alpha said with a shrug.

"He's not my mate but I slept with him. And I shouldn't have done. So, now everyone's angry with me."

"Hmm," Nicholas offered unhelpfully. "Well, it sounds like you shouldn't have slept with him."

"Oh thank you Sensei, what would I do without you." Ignoring him completely, she picked the binoculars back up and began studying the compound again.

"Next time you want someone's bed to warm for the night, mine's always open."

Saf used a technique she'd been taught during training, pinning a certain part of his shoulder with three fingers until he cried out in pain. "Say that again, wolf, and I'll kill you. Better yet, I'll let my shadow kill you himself."

Glaring at her and working his shoulders in circles, he gave her a brutal smirk. "I do love it when he's angry. Do you think it will take long before he appears? We both know he's out there." He gestured beyond the canvas camouflage they laid beneath to the darkness encroaching outside.

"If he knows what's good for him," she said slightly louder than necessary, "then he'll stay where he is."

Nicholas chuckled and she briefly wondered if she could justify killing him.

Somehow, she thought J would let her.

*

LOGAN

J sighed in her sleep and he looked down at the she-wolf curled around him like a snake. His chest swelled with pride in her – in the knowledge that she loved him. He couldn't wait to do this for years. And that's what they'd have together, he was sure of it.

Perhaps, they'd have another kid. Maybe two. A whole mini-pack of them. As long as they looked like her, they'd be fine. Though perhaps they'd be better off inheriting his hard head as he knew that any cubs of theirs would be vicious and swift. All the more protection the better.

He traced J's outline beneath their flimsy sheet and prayed to the Goddess that she survived tomorrow. He didn't want her here, he wanted her where she was safe, but he also couldn't bear to be parted from her, and so when she'd said she was coming, he hadn't fought it.

He hoped he wouldn't come to regret that.

And as morning broke and the final few plans were put into action, Logan looked around him at his pack, his family, and he had never been more proud.