All the Things We've Done

A/N: there is a spin-off series set between the previous chapter and this one - it's based on Callie, the first book is called Midnight Wolves

Epilogue

Fifteen years later

Lexa took a deep breath, pollen from the overhanging trees tickling her nose. She glanced at Cordelia stood beside her and they shared a look that shared more than any words could. Together they stepped towards their closest friend until they framed her, one on each side.

Although the she-wolf showed no signs of acknowledgement, they knew she was comforted by their presence. They had always known - a bond deeper than any other existing between them. As the last few voices drifted from the graveyard, another two she-wolves walked up to them and joined their line facing the newly turned soil by their feet.

Ava's sob fractured the silence and immediately her friends gathered around her, all holding one another close as their friend mourned for her mother.

"I should have done something." Ava cried into Lexa's shoulder, wet patches soaking through the thin black fabric of her dress.

"You did everything you could, AV. She knew this was coming, we all did." Zara soothed, running a hand down Ava's back.

"I-I know," Ava hiccupped, "but I still never thought it'd actually happen. I want my mum." Zara, Lexa and Nadiya locked eyes, all of them fighting back tears.

"I know. We all know. But your mum loved you, loved you more than anything else in this world and she held on for as long as she could." Cordelia promised.

Footsteps approached them and Ava pulled out of the group hug just as another she-wolf reached them. She'd swept her long brown hair into a pony tail today, probably in an attempt to look less like her mother who always wore her hair down and long.

"Uma," Ava whispered.

Uma stepped forwards and hugged her oldest friend against her chest.

The six friends remained by the grave for a while. They hugged and chatted, reminiscing about summers spent at Rootbridge together or Christmases at Black Oath. They talked for hours until a large black car came to a stop on the winding tarmac path.

A man slowly climbed out of the car and walked towards them, he waited patiently as the girls each got to their feet and headed towards him.

"Dad," Uma called, running into his awaiting arms.

Jake cradled her head against his chest, still shocked at how tall his sixteen year old daughter was getting. He leaned back and placed his hands either side of her face and brushed away the falling tears, his heart breaking at the pain etched onto her face. For herself and for her friend.

"Wait in the car, kid. I need to talk to Ava." Uma nodded and the sight of those tears in her big brown eyes broke his heart. Releasing her to jump into the car with the others, Jake walked towards where Ava hovered, as though she'd known they needed to talk.

"Hey Ava. It was a lovely service, wasn't it?"

She only nodded, wiping her nose with her hand and looking down at the ground. She kicked at a clump of grass by her foot.

"Are you going to tell me that I have to go and move to Grandma's old pack? Or uncle Caleb's?"

Jake's eyes widened in surprise and he took a step closer to Ava. "No, of course not. Unless you want to? I know you spent your early childhood with your grandma but since she passed you've been at Rootbridge. But if you like I can-"

Ava shook her head. "No, I-I don't want to go. But I don't have anywhere to go anymore."

Jake laughed humourlessly and gripped her shoulders. "Ava. You're coming home with us. With Uma, me, Cassidy and the twins. Sure, you might regret this later because it's going to be a full house," he laughed and Ava smiled a small, soft smile. "but we promised J and we love you like one of ours. Love all of you." He gestured over his shoulder to the car. "You'll always have a home with us."

Ava's eyes welled with fresh tears and before she knew it, she was crying again. Jake pulled her close and walked her back towards the car, squeezing her shoulder gently. "I know it doesn't feel like it right now but trust me, the pain will ease. With time. J was a hell of a woman. She's not going to be forgotten any time soon."

Ava stopped short of the car.

"Jake."

He stopped and turned to her.

"You know that I'm going to kill them all, don't you? Every last person responsible for the rogues."

Jake blinked, smiled and let out a low chuckle. "You wouldn't be J's daughter if you didn't."

*
A/N:
And that, is the end!
Thank you so much for reading, commenting, voting etc. And for nagging me when I haven't updated in a while.

I've loved writing this series - and you should know that it's thanks to some of you that Logan lived as long as he did. In the initial plan, Logan was supposed to die at the end of book two! But seeing how much some of you loved J/Logan, I realised I couldn't kill him. Not yet anyway.

But now here we are - both J and Logan are officially gone. Though hopefully they'll find each other in whatever world comes next.

In the meantime, I've started a new series that follows Callie and the hunt for the wolf that killed her mother. Of course, all of the Rootbridge characters will appear at some point. And, I'm making no promises, but in the future I might pick up the series and focus on the next generation - Ava, Lexa, Cordelia, Uma, Zara & Nadiya.

(Ava = J and Logan's daughter)
(Zara = Saf & Jonathon's daughter)
(Uma = Cassidy & Jake's daughter)
(Cordelia = Leah & Jack's daughter)
(Nadiya = Kelsey & Liam's daughter)
(Lexa = Elenor & Nicholas's daughter)

And yes, they all had daughters.

And yes, one day they might all be back.

Thank you, all of you. I have loved this series and I have loved J - she's probably my favourite character and believe me, I have a LOT of characters!

Thanks for reading
<3
V_F