It Was Never the Same

ONE YEAR LATER

CASSIDY

"I thank you all for attending today at what is the first annual commemoration for the liberation of the rogues. As you all know, over this last year we have worked hard to formalise a committee of wolf packs to help protect us from this ongoing threat. And despite our tireless efforts, another 15 wolves disappeared this year. However, we are making great strides to track down and trace whoever is behind this. We have all lost. Know that you are not alone." Jake finished his speech to a round of quiet applause. He stepped down from the hastily erected staging and hugged Cassidy to his chest. She shook slightly from the tears he'd known she shed. "It'll be ok darlin'. I promise." He murmured into her hair.

Cassidy buried her head into her mate's chest and cried. Hidden here behind the stage was the only moment of privacy that they'd had since packs had begun to arrive almost two days ago.

Taking a deep breath, she wiped her eyes and blew her nose. She shook her head gently, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks once more. "I just can't believe it's been a year, you know?" Cassie whispered to Jake as he kissed her head.

"I know. Are Black Oath here yet? I know Saf said they were going to go to the grave before they got here."

Cassidy nodded, pulling apart the tissue balled into her fist. "Yeh, Jack just called and said they'd arrived."

Jake rubbed his hands up and down Cassidy's arms. "Then let's go meet them."

Turning from the mourning crowd, Jake and Cassidy left the other gathered wolf packs to make their speeches and headed for the perimeter of their lands.

Over them loomed the giant slab they'd unveiled that morning. Each wolf who had been lost to the rogues had their name chiselled into the smooth, cold surface.

Cassidy and Jake arrived to find the pack all clad in black. Saf stepped forwards and hugged Cassidy tight to her chest. "I've missed you." Saf whispered softly.

"I've missed you too. Where's Jonathon?"

Saf rolled her eyes. "An Alpha's job is never done apparently. He's gone to speak to some other alpha about a territory or something. I don't know. I don't pay attention."

Cassidy smiled. "Sometimes, I feel sorry for your pack. Speaking of, hi everyone."

The Black Oath pack, Trevor, Will and Zander, all nodded hello and a few other, newer, members made their introductions. Cassidy and Saf stepped off to the side and let them all continue to talk.

"Is she here?"

Cassidy shook her head. "Not yet. Apparently they're due to arrive soon."

Saf nodded. "Have you seen her since-"

"No, you?"

Saf shook her head.

Cassidy sighed, tears threatening to spill again. She shook her head softly. "Come on, come see Uma. She's missed you."

Saf smiled wide and Cassidy wondered how long it would be before the she-alpha and her mate began having children. Judging by the moon eyes she was making at the sight of Uma, she doubted it would be long.

"Where's Callie?" Saf asked, Uma happily sat in her arms. "I'd love to see her while we're here."

Cassidy scoffed and smiled, "knowing my adopted daughter, she's probably out training with Liam. He might not have any official position in the pack but it seems that Callie has finally found a use for him."

Saf smiled. "Girl after my own heart. Tell her to come to Black Oath, I'll teach her a thing or two."

Cassidy's face balked. "Knowing how you fight, miss 'tore a man in two', I don't think she needs your particular type of training."