Scrappy

Cassidy

She waited patiently at the pack perimeter as the SUV trundled down the rickety path and came to a stop. Saf was the first one out, barking an insult at Jonathon as she slammed the door shut. She jogged around the SUV and caught sight of Cassidy.

"A-dog!" She shouted as she launched herself into Cassidy's arms and the two she-wolves hugged.

"I've missed you, Saf." She admitted, relieved to see her friend safe.

"Me too. You I mean. I mean, I've missed you. And the others. Where are they anyway? I figured Kelsey and Leah would come meet me too. I did get kidnapped you know."

Cassidy chuckled as she pulled away from Saf who was now glaring over Cassidy's shoulder at the town in the distance.

"Leah's not been well so she's probably resting with her 'special friend' Jack." Saf's face switched from concern to elation in seconds.

"I'm sorry. Leah's with someone, and nobody told me?! Does J know? If that she-wolf knew and didn't tell me, I'm going to-"

"Er-hm," someone stood behind Saf cleared their throat, stalling her threats towards one of her oldest friends. She stepped back sheepishly, obviously having forgotten all about them. Which, judging by the wolf's face, hadn't gone unnoticed.

"Oh, er, Cassidy, this is Alpha Nicholas. Nicholas, this is Cassidy Alma, alpha of the Rootbridge pack."

The two alphas sized each other up for a silent moment before Cassidy extended a hand which he gladly shook. "It's a pleasure to welcome you to Rootbridge, Nicholas. Hopefully you can help us with our rogue problem. I am sorry to hear about your mate."

Nicholas nodded in thanks. "Anything I can do to help. This is my enforcer, Carter, and my beta, Sheldon." Cassidy nodded at the two wolves lingering behind him knowing that she'd forget their names the second she learnt them.

"Well, welcome, all of you. We've had guest houses made up for all of you to stay in. Not quite as fancy as a castle, but hopefully you'll find them to your liking."

The group headed further into the packlands, Jonathon following Saf, as per usual, as Caleb, Trevor and Will fell into step beside Cassidy. Zander sidled up to her. "You're being awfully welcoming to the wolf who kidnapped your friend less than 72 hours ago."

Cassidy glared up at the wolf making him flinch. "I'm well aware of that, thank you Zander. And believe me, I will not forget."

Picking up speed, Cassidy headed to the front of the group cursing her mate once more for not being here with her to welcome Black Oath and the ridiculously pompous Alpha Nicholas, who she'd really rather be beating into a bloody pulp.

But she knew that J was on her way. And if anybody was going to do it, it'd be her.

*

As it turns out, Cassidy had been mistaken.

J had barely even arrived and was still getting Logan settled and unloading the car when she got a call to say that Alpha Nicholas required a healer. She rang Leah but she still wasn't answering, but thankfully Jake had asked Doc to come back last week when it was clear that Leah wasn't up to the job at the moment.

Dispatching Doc to Nicholas's location, Cassidy headed in the opposite direction. She wasn't sure where the she-wolf had gone but figured that if she was having a bad day her wolf always drove her towards the large flat rock that formed a small waterfall on the edges of the packlands. It was here that her and her original pack had spent many hours chatting, laughing (and drinking). It was here that she'd first come when she found out she was pregnant with Uma. Where she'd come when Uma was missing.

So she wasn't surprised when she found Callie sat with her knees tucked up under her chin besides the water. If Callie sensed her, she didn't make it known. But, being that she hadn't tried to attack her, Cassidy moved towards her and quietly set the bag she'd borrowed from Doc beside her before sitting down.

She stared out at the water the same way Callie did, basking in the silence for a moment.

"Is he dead?" The she-wolf asked, sounding much younger than she was. When Cassidy had first met her, she'd thought she was barely sixteen but they'd learnt since that she was quite a bit older. But years of living wild as her wolf and then as a prisoner in her pack had made it hard for her to adjust back to normal life.

"No, he's not. Beaten but breathing." Cassidy said with a small smile.

Callie released a long shaky breath and Cassidy realised that the poor she-wolf had probably convinced herself she'd just murdered someone.

"You don't sound very angry considering what I just did."

Cassidy chuckled. "You just did what I wished I could have done."

Callie snapped her attention to Cassidy, eyes wide in surprise. Cassidy could see she'd been crying and she could also see that the guards they'd found in crumpled heaps had managed to get in a good punch to the side of her jaw – the purple bruise must have been painful but the young she-wolf should no signs of it.

Cassidy shrugged. "I had to be the gracious host. You didn't. That alpha-asshole kidnapped Saf, would have killed her if she hadn't talked her way out of it, as is her prerogative. I don't blame you. I don't think anyone will. Though Saf might be a little annoyed as she doesn't like other people fighting her battles for her. Jonathon might just adore you forever though. He's been looking like he wanted to pummel his face in since they arrived."

Callie laughed softly and wiped her nose and eyes. "I thought you were going to banish me."

Cassidy leant out and wrapped Callie into a hug. "Never. You're as welcome here as you are at Black Oath. I do have a question though?"

Callie sniffed and looked up at her.

"How the hell did you get the drop on the alpha, the beta and the enforcer and all you walked away with is that bruise?"

Callie shrugged one shoulder. "I'm scrappy. That's what J says."

Cassidy smiled wide and picked up the bag she'd brought with her. "That you are." Undoing the bag, she pulled out medical supplies and gestured at Callie's hands that were bruised and bloodied from the beating she'd given them.  "And there's strength in scrappy."