Danger

CALLIE

Callie did not enjoy having so many wolves around. She didn't trust them.

Her wolf did not enjoy it either.

So instead of warring with her own sanity, Callie had found a secluded spot on pack territory where she'd hoped to be left alone.

That, of course, didn't happen.

She hadn't realised he was there at first, the raging water covering his approach. It was only that the wind shifted that she caught his scent.

She, the girl, was frozen to the spot in fear, her wolf however knew what that scent meant – her mate was nearby.

Sure enough, he rose from the forest like a shadow turned mountain and stalked towards her. His gaze was so focused on her that she couldn't breathe.

Yet something had changed – he was alpha now, she realised. He was now the alpha of the pack she'd supposedly been born into and now he'd come to claim her just like he'd promised he would last time he saw her. And she, in a foolish effort to buy herself time to run, had agreed.

She'd then forgotten to run far enough.

"You ran from me." He growled, as he neared her.

She pushed herself to her feet, hoping to push past the paralysed panic gripping her muscles. She couldn't explain her body's reaction or the terror that gripped her so tightly she could barely breathe.

She stumbled away from him but on the ledge she had little option between the raging water and a stone wall.

Still he advanced. "You promised to come to me." He demanded, his voice rough from his wolf.

Callie could barely breathe, her wolf warring with her. Her wolf wanted her mate, not understanding that it wasn't that simple. She wished that her wolf would understand – but even Callie didn't, not really. Everything about this man and his pack terrified her, and she could not remember why.

"Please, please don't. I don't want to claim you. I don't want you."

He didn't listen.

He backed her into the stone wall until all she could see was him. Fear stole her voice, her everything. She couldn't move, couldn't speak and her wolf wasn't much help either, caught between Callie's panic and her confusion at this stranger being her mate.

Callie knew what he planned to do before he moved.

She screamed at herself in her head to run, to fight, to escape. She didn't not want to be mated. Not like this.

She screamed and begged her body to react but all she could do was stutter and stammer as his hands roughly grabbed her, as he manhandled her towards the floor, as he used his decidedly bigger body to pin her down.

She'd known he was dangerous. Known that he would come for her. But somehow she never thought he'd try and forcefully mate her. And she hated how helpless she felt. Facing Logan and Jack, she hadn't blinked. Faced with this and she couldn't even speak. She hated herself. Hated her wolf. Hated how weak she was.

Would J blame her? Would Caleb? Would they say she should have fought? Would they fight to get her back? She wanted to cry. She wanted to scream. But instead she could do nothing but lie there, her wolf burying itself until she was nothing but a whisper.

The man above her growled and she shivered with fear but his growl mixed with another - one so low and so deadly that for a brief moment she wondered if she'd simply imagined it.

*

CALEB

Caleb had never considered himself a violent person. In fact, he'd grown up in a violence-free, loving home and although they'd known hardship and loss, he'd never had the anger that he saw every day in his long lost sister.

Of course, after all that J had been through, he was not surprised by her anger and instead was constantly surprised in her ability to control it.

And now, stood here dripping in someone else's blood with Callie watching him from a distance, fragile arms wrapped around her middle as though she was trying to hold herself together, Caleb couldn't help but respect J even more. Because he finally understood what it was to have an anger burning so bright that it threatens to consume you, and he finally understood what happened when you let it.

"Did he?" Caleb growled, unable to finish the thought lest he started bathing in the blood of the wolf who lay shredded at his feet.

"No-No. You stopped him before he co-" Callie stuttered before bursting into tears. He took a step to go to her, his heart shattering as the woman he loved more than he'd known possible broke down before him, but she backed up away from him and he knew why. He'd just torn another being apart before her eyes. He'd just shown her a violence that scared her to her bones. He'd help prove that all men could be monsters but not all monsters could be men.

He'd already called out to J via the packlink and she was nearly here, Caleb could sense her. Soon enough, J's wolf bounded out of the forest, pausing for a second to look at Caleb – probably to check it wasn't his blood that coated him, before she ran to Callie and transformed into her human form just in time to ask if she could hold her. Callie nodded and J wrapped her arms around the she-wolf.

Other wolves began pouring in, J having called the Black Oath pack and some of Rootbridge.

"Leah, come here. Kels', you too. The rest of you patrol the area. I want no one anywhere near here. Trevor, help Caleb. Jonathon, clean up." She barked orders so easily and effortlessly that Caleb could only help stare in wonder as everyone jumped to their assigned roles around her.

Quite why she thought he needed help though, he had no idea. Trevor approached him warily, making Caleb wonder what was going on. Sure he'd killed that wolf and was covered in his blood but it's not like this lot hadn't seen that sort of thing before.

"Caleb?" Trevor asked slowly, carefully, making Caleb frown. "I just need you to take some deep breaths for me." Caleb cocked his head at him, confused by the tone. "Just take a moment and try to calm down, OK? Try to gain control of your wolf."

Control of his- Oh. The world was black and white. And those were claws wrapped around what looked like a head-

Disgusted, Caleb threw the decapitated head from his paw, it bounced and rolled across the ground coming to a rest in front of a very unimpressed looking Jonathon.

Caleb drew in a few deep breaths until finally the world shifted back to colour and Trevor let out a breath. "Good. OK, great. Good. Look, we need to get you cleaned up OK? But, you need to be prepared because the pack link is going to-"

Blinding pain shot across Caleb's forehead and that was the last thing he knew before his world went dark.