Bored

SAF

Saf was bored. Which, incidentally, was never a good thing.

The problem with a bored Saf is that it often allowed her mind to wander. And when her mind wanders, well that's when things tended to go very wrong.

So, in her humble opinion, she had done very well so far not to kill anyone, or start any diplomatic incidents – although Callie had the market cornered on that one – and she'd also, so far, managed not to throttle the pushy wolf that kept. staring. at. her.

She sighed again irritably and pinned him with a stare. Jonathon did nothing but stare back.

They sat around a long table in Darcy's diner, they had been swapping notes on the rogue wolves for a while now but Saf hadn't learnt anything new. She already knew that a number of alphas had their mates taken and turned rogue. She also knew that Rootbridge hadn't been the only pack to suffer from rogue attacks. Logan and the other rogue had forged a bloody path across the land on their way here. But it would seem that other rogues had done the same in other areas.

They didn't have set numbers, though Will and Trevor were working on getting them, but so far at least 50 wolves had been identified as missing or turned and none of them had recovered. In fact, so far, Logan was the most sane rogue that anyone had seen. Which didn't bode well for any of them.

J had fallen very silent shortly after that proclamation and Saf couldn't help but feel for her. It seemed that at the moment, Logan was a ticking time bomb and they were all in the firing line.

Oh, and J was pregnant. Just to add insult to injury. Pregnant with a cub that would probably never know its father as Logan would have gone insane and probably been put down by then. Great.

Oh, and apparently Liam had been forgiven for locking up Logan and leaving him to die. Sure, he wasn't beta anymore and hadn't been invited to this riveting soiree but he still had his life and his mate, Kelsey, still stood beside him. He'd received a rather frosty reception from the Black Oath pack but in Saf's opinion he was just lucky that they hadn't ripped his throat out.

There were quite a few people around this table who were that lucky. Nicholas kept glaring daggers at Callie, who looked utterly horrified by what she'd done. Meanwhile, just about everyone kept glaring at the strange invading alpha who had kidnapped Saf. Overall, considering the political and emotion turmoil contained around this table, it was a surprise that something disastrous hadn't happened.

Saf sighed again, sadly this time. Sometimes she wondered what they'd all done in a past life to get this much bad luck.

Nope, so far Saf had learnt nothing new from this lot. Apart from Leah's dirty little secret. Saf was shocked to say the least, Leah had never shown much interest in relationships. Sure, their lifestyles hadn't offered much chance at that, but even when they'd settled into Jake's pack, Leah still hadn't seemed tempted by any of the wolves on offer.

Saf had almost expected her to remain alone forever. Yet suddenly, she'd met someone in a bar and was now holed up with him, 'recovering'. Saf scoffed, like she believed that. They were probably banging like bunnies, which only made Saf wonder exactly what type of person this 'Jack' was. How had he, of all the wolves in all the bars, managed to get Leah's attention?

Maybe has a doctor. Or a lecturer. Or read a lot. Yeh, that made sense. Someone who read a lot of old stuffy books. He probably wore tweed and had leather patches on his elbow. Someone safe and boring – that was who he was.

That would make sense.

The door rattled and Saf turned towards it with a bored expression on her face, but the dark cloud looming over her lifted as she saw Leah walk in.

Her jaw just about hit the floor when she was followed in by a talk, dark and utterly delectable man.

That was Jack?

Saf needed to go to the local bars more often.

Jonathan growled as though he'd heard her thought.