An Epilogue: J & Logan

You asked for it. So here it is...

A final epilogue for J & Logan

He had waited for her as patiently as his wolf allowed. He didn't know where he was, not really. An open expanse of forest, tall trees casting him in shade. He didn't know when he was, either. He only knew that she would come.

Eventually, his Jos' would find her way back to him.

*

Her final moments had been silent. She'd not known much beyond the soft murmur of her family's voices and the love that wrapped around her like a warm embrace.

J was not scared. She had always known this was coming.

She was sad – she wasn't ready to leave her daughter. But she knew her friends, her family, would look after her.

So as that final breath rasped through her chest, as her focus drifted beyond this world and into the next, J knew that she'd done all she could and that finally, finally she could rest.

The soft lapping of water against the shore dragged J from her sleep. She blinked heavy eyes against the sun overhead, raising an arm to cover her face. Shifting into a seated position, J took in the serene world around her.

An ocean of blue-green jewel tones stretched out into the distant horizon, an ice blue sky overhead. Beneath her, pale golden sand sunk between her toes, warmed by the midday sun. It was the forest though, that caught her attention. Its lush green foliage spilling out onto the golden sands.

Something about that forest called to her, something in it.

It began as a delicate burn in her middle but grew like a wildfire until she was on her feet and walking numbly towards the shadows it offered.

It was only as her eyes adjusted to the darkness that she noticed, and she slammed to a stop.

Her wolf.

Her wolf was back.

The breath that caught in her chest was almost painful. She felt stronger than she'd been in years. Stronger yet dead – that much she was sure of. Wherever this place was, it was a moment caught in time. An eternity that stretched out before her unblinking.

A tug through her middle had her walking forwards again, climbing through vines and plants, weaving between curving trees and ducking beneath curtains of leaves.

It was beautiful, this place.

Onwards she moved until her thighs burned and her feet shuffled through the ground as she walked up an incline. How big was this place? she had no idea. Yet onward she went, letting the sensation in her middle guide her like a compass.

She reached a clearing, a pool of crystal clear water and a slowly trickling waterfall.

That was where she found him.

She hadn't known she was looking for him until her knees bowed at the sight of that familiar flick of fur – of those eyes of gold that found her, as they always had done in life.

He froze, a predator startled from sleep on a large, flat rock beside the edge of the pool.

Her throat wouldn't work, her limbs unable to move as she just watched him.

How many years had it been since she'd seen him last? How many nights had she dreamt of him? Holding on to fragments of memory until they began to wither and blur with age. Sometimes she could barely see his face, barely remember hear his laugh.