Unintentional

SAF

Her entire body was tense. Her shoulders creaked and her neck was already beginning to seize up. She just needed to hang on. Just for a little longer. It was almost over.

Her hands curled, digging into the arm of the chair. Alpha Nicholas sat in front of her smirking, believing he'd won. But he should have known not to underestimate her. She would not go down without a fight.

Smiling a smile that only J would be proud of, Saf reached out towards him, ready to execute her plan when another wolf appeared at her side.

"Your drink ma'am. Just as you requested."

Saf smiled up at the servant, deciding she could easily get used to this lifestyle, and plucked the cocktail from the tray he held. "Thank you." She said with a nod, before taking a sip. "Delicious." She muttered as she placed it down on the table and refocused on the chess board in front of her.

Plucking her queen from the board she executed her perfectly planned manoeuvre and sat back with a smile "Check." She said in a teasing tone that made the alpha's eyes flash wolf for a moment.

"Not for long I'm sure," he practically purred as he studied the board. But Saf had him where she wanted him, and she enjoyed watching the moment that he realised it.

"Perhaps we should have played something else." Nicholas said as he straightened in his chair and piled his hands into his lap.

Saf smiled wide and leant forwards, tipping his king over for him, knowing that the alpha knew when he'd been beaten. "Oh come now, Nicholas. Not a sore loser are you?"

Before Nicholas had a chance to reply, the door to the library was forced open, wood splintering across the ground. Saf snapped around to face the door and watched Jonathon emerge from the wreckage, most of her pack in tow.

Glancing back at the angry face of Nicholas she faced Jonathon and managed a little wave. "Er-hi. Probably should have let you know I was safe, I guess."

Jonathon did nothing but stare, making Saf shiver.

"I think I'll leave you to catch up." Nicholas said quietly to Saf as he stood, his guards, who appeared to be in a state of shock, following his lead. "And you'll be paying for that door, wolf." He barked at Jonathon as he walked past the debris.

Jonathon just kept staring.

Saf stumbled to her feet and neared him, glancing around him at the others and offering them a little wave.

"Glad to see you alive and well, Saf!" Zander called. "I thought for sure that Jon was going to raze this castle to the ground if you were dead, and I really didn't sleep that well last night so could use a na-" Trevor slapped his hand over Zander's mouth.

"We'll leave you two to talk. I'll go and talk to the Alpha about a payment plan for this door. And the window. And the gate. Maybe the pot that we knocked over too. Gods, J is going to kill us."

Trevor dragged Zander away, Caleb and Will helping, leaving just Jonathon and Saf in the silence of the library.

Saf shifted uncomfortably and cleared her throat. "So, er-"

She fell silent again, not knowing what to say.

Jonathon took a step towards her and Saf's wolf lunged for the surface, she barely managed to contain her. Jonathon's wolf appeared in return, gazing at her from within his eyes. Saf walked back a few steps but Jonathon followed. She walked back further, but every step she took, he took two.

Finally, her back hit a wall but he didn't stop coming. He charged at her like a wild animal until his arms caged her – but he didn't touch her. Just stood there, staring. And it was beginning to p*ss her off.

"See something you like, wolf?" she snapped.

His eyes darkened and he leaned towards her, growling low in his throat.

Saf gulped and regretted her choice of words.

"Calm down Jonathon." She whispered.

And it was only that quiet whisper that could get through to him. Only that soft voice of hers and delicate tone that could calm the raging war of his blood. His wolf had been pushing him to claim her as his, then and there. To make his she-wolf very aware of exactly which wolf she belonged to and exactly how much she meant to him. But instead, the man was able to regain control – though not before he'd captured her lips in a soft, gentle kiss. More to reassure him that she was here and she was safe than anything else.

Saf, surprised by the gentle manner of the kiss, forgot herself for a moment. Her arms reached up and wound around him, his arms left the wall and traced her waist until he tugged her towards him, arching her back into him.

She left out a soft, breathless moan as he deepened the kiss and she froze at the sound, realising what she was doing. Shoving Jonathon away she stood panting until her breathing could return to normal. He stood where she'd pushed him, looking at her as though he was ready to devour her.

And Saf knew that she was in trouble. Real deep trouble.

Because every part of her wanted him to do exactly that.

*
A/N
Hello! So, I've got ten chapters pre-written which I'll be releasing over this week and then another 10-15 chapters before the end!
I'm also going to take this opportunity to thank you all for reading and sticking with me even when I've struggled to write it!
The reason I haven't written in a while is because life got in the way but also because I was trying desperately to change the way it ends and I ended up with real writers block - so I've decided to go with my original plan and...well, I hope you all forgive me 😂
Thank you for every read, vote and comment. I've loved the Rootbridge pack and ending this trilogy is going to be very strange for me!
<3
V_F