Chapter 49 - Astrid

The white blanket that covered the island glistened and gleamed as the sun shown upon the powdered snow.

We just celebrated our ninth Snoggletog on New Berk about a week ago.

The kids got all sorts of goodies and new dragon toys to play with.

Hiccup had made shelves for the house for all of the new trinkets and clothing Zephyr and Nuffink are needing as they grow older.

The new year will begin tomorrow and quite frankly, I am nervous and excited for the 10th year of living on our island and of course the dragons migrating the the Hidden World.

My stomach churned within me as I stared out on the village around me, making our way up to the Great Hall.

Hiccup and I just dropped off the kids with my mom and dad so we can go to a meeting.

I followed my husband closely and he reached his hand out behind him to grab mine. Our fingers quickly intertwined as he read his check-list in his other hand.

I've been feeling ill the last several days, but it may be my anxiety of what next week will bring.

"How are you feeling today, M'lady?", he asks upon seeing my pale face.

"I want to say better... I am just a little queasy", I say holding my stomach.

"Hmmm", he groans.

He stops and turns to look deeply into my eyes with furrowed eyebrows.

I look to my left and right confused.

"Astrid"

"Yes?"

"When was your last cycle?", he asks.

"Shhhhh the whole village might hear you!", I jump and cover his mouth.

But his question definitely hit me like a ton of wood as I truly don't know that answer.

"I... I don't know", I say and his eyes widen.

"Astrid Hofferson Haddock doesn't get anxious about voyages... do think it could be something else...?", he lifts one brow, looking at me.

Oh Thor.

"I... uh... you think...?", I say looking at him fearfully.

A wild smile appears on his face, "Well if you've missed one, I'd say go see Gothi"

He suggests and the mere thought of a third baby overwhelms me with joy and anxiousness.

It's been so wonderful with the two of them the last 5 years, it's hard to imagine another little one!

He's blushing now as we realized that we probably haven't been too careful the last couple of years, seeing that we haven't gotten pregnant again.

I don't recall not having a cycle for a long while, but it wasn't recent.

"No rush on that, it's still way too early to know. We have a trip to prepare the village of our absence for", I say.

"Ohhh. Now we're the determined one to get ready for this thing?", he mocks me slightly.

"Yes Knucklehead. Now let's go!", I say heading up the stairs with him so close behind me that his hands are on my waist.

The gang is all seated at the table towards the back, leaving mine and Astrid's chair empty.

"Chief. Chieftess. Please join us", Eret says and the tension in the room intensifies as they are all staring at us with solace expressions.

I give Hiccup a concerned glance.