Chapter 34 - Astrid

"Nuffink, could you bring mommy that sandpaper over there?", I ask my wildly jumping son.

"Yes mama", he replies bringing over the rough material.

His 2 year old legs were short, but strong enough to carry his heavy self around the house with ease.

I was working on Hiccup's birthday gift. I know we don't generally do gifts, but I came up with this idea a couple of months ago. When he was playing dragons with the kids one day, he mentioned that he wished he had his own little relic.

I hand carved a wooden Toothless for his work desk. Then he can paint it or do whatever else with it.

"Mommy, where did you put my light fury?", my grown 5 year old asks.

"Um, I think it's in the bin with your others, Zeph", I say trying to finish the little creation of mine.

"Mooooooommy I can't find her...", Zephyr pouts.

"I'll look for it while you're at the school. Just take Toofless with you", I say still concentrating.

"Mommy. His name is Toothless", she corrects me. Sounds like Hiccup.

Oh Thor... I was hoping I'd hear her say "Toofless" one more time... but I guess she's too smart for that now.

"You're right baby, sorry", I say laughing a bit.

"That's okay! When is uncle Fishlegs coming?", she asks skipping around the living room.

Suddenly, right on cue, there's a knock at the door.

"Can I come in?", he asks with a 2 and a half year old Lillian in his arms.

"Yes!", I shout.

"Hi Feffer", she waves cutely to her cousin.

"Hi Lily!", my sweet girl waves back.

"Zephyr do you have your journal and satchel for school?", I call from the kitchen table.

"Yes mom! I'll see you later!", she waves as she runs out the door.

"Bye Astrid! Tell Hiccup I said hello!", Fishlegs leaves quickly trying to keep up with my child.

"I will!"

I finish sanding the edges of the wooden Toothless' tail and exhale deeply.

It's not perfect but I know he'll love it.

I look over at the big rug by the fire and my wonderful son is hitting a toy sheep with a stuffed dragon.

Ah. A little Hofferson in the flesh.

"Hey Nuff, ready to go help daddy at the Great Hall?"

"Yeah!", he jumps from the fur rug and leaps into my arms.

It pulls on my back a little to lift up this hefty little man. He's all viking and I absolutely love it.

I put out the fire in the fireplace and throw a satchel over my shoulder with a couple of things for Nuffink.

He squirms to get out of my arms as soon as we get outside into the busy village.

"Hold my hand, Nuff", I instruct and he quickly grabs it.

We walk up the deck pathway to where Hiccup was in a meeting. Nuffink was leading me up the long climb and his blonde locks were bobbing up and down as he leaped up the way.

We finally reach the steps to the Hall and he has to use all fours to scale the steep steps.

I open the door and I see Throk leaning over a table with great concentration. Hiccup is pacing back and forth, scratching his now short beard.