Chapter 25 - Astrid

The impeccable timing of our dear friends couldn't have been more perfect.

Of all people to see the attack happen, Gustav was on his way back here after a visit to Berserker Island.

For once in his life he did something wonderful by alerting the Chief and Queen.

The Berserkers, our Berkians, Hiccup and I fought and pushed the Fractious and Rebellion until they retreated back to their ships and fled.

The twins, somehow, managed to capture Heather in the chaos, but Magnus got away.

The little infant within my belly flipped and kicked along with me swinging my axe at each traitorous face I saw.

I believe this baby will be vigilant like me. Hiccup may beg to differ but I am certain of this one.

I rub my full belly as I lay in bed unable to sleep. I am facing the center of our bed against Hiccup's back. The attack was two days ago, but who could possibly sleep after an endeavor like that?

Besides, tomorrow is the day we're going to put Heather on trial.

"Hmmm can't sleep either M'lady?", Hiccup says with the throatiest tone, sending chills down my spine.

It's insane how he still gets me with how much I love him.

"No... not a wink...", I say as he rolls over. There's a lack in his gaze when our eyes meet, solace falls on his face as I cuff his prickly cheek in my hand.

"Hiccup... Zephyr is fine. She doesn't despise you or hate you... she's just scared...", I look at him intently.

My heart yearns for my poor husband as his head takes him deeper into the fear that his daughter no longer loves him.

My little girl is just like her dad, and she is smart enough to know that Heather was the bad guy and dad didn't send the dragons away to hurt her.

"I know that... I just... I can't get the look on her face out of my head. She looked at me like I ripped her little heart out..."

His sensitive side is really out in the open in this moment and I know it's uncomfortable for him. But I'm the only one he allows to see this side over the years and it makes me love him that much more.

Hiccup suddenly rises from the bed and walks out of the room.

I know he's going to go check on her, he's done it about 5 times in the last 2 hours.

I bring myself to my feet as well, much slower due to my sore back and joints.

He's leaning against the doorframe, watching Zephyr all snug with her dragons all over her bed.

I snake my arms around his waist from the back and lay my chin on his shoulder.

"See. She's okay", I whisper.

"I know..."

We stare as her little girly snore is heard along with the flickering of her nightstand candle.

"Come back to bed", I say kissing the spot on his neck just below his ear.

"Whoa... Astrid be careful of that spot", he whips around in a totally different mood.

"Oh I'm already pregnant Knucklehead don't go there", I say going to crawl back in bed.

He chuckles wildly in a hushed tone.

__________

"Now Heather... the... hateful... you stand before us today guilty of treason, assault, theft and even to the point of attempted murder...", my husband the chief reads from a scroll with great difficulty.

She was manacled and chained from her shoulders down to her knees.

The very accusations against my friend hurt my soul slightly. The shaded look in her eyes covered her gaze like a blanket; unaware that these things are wrong and not like her.

Almost as if her eyes have been covered in a veil, unable to see the truth.

"I told you. Without Windshear I am nothing. Besides, Magnus and these "savages" have shown me more respect than any of you have over the last four years", she snarls.

"But we have! We have always loved and included you in our lives. Heather we have created a life without the dragons and it's honestly wonderful. And to know that they are safe is good enough for me, why can't you accept that?", I interject. My chieftess cape dragged dramatically behind me as I approach her where she sat.

"Astrid you have your life, and so do you Dagur. I never found mine. And you all didn't give me the light of day to care about it. Some family", she rolls her eyes.

I swallow deeply as I have to bite my tongue.

I prepare myself, "Then why? Why did you come to the wedding? Why did you set up our honeymoon for us? Why did you help we with my baby when three years later you would treat her like a dog?"

I'm so close I could spit in her face. There's a slight look of guilt that I pry out of her.

"Astrid, sweetie, relax a little", Hiccup grabs my shoulder.

"Those events became very proof that I meant nothing to you besides "help". I was hoping to find a home in Berk away from my neglective family and be with you guys. But you were so caught up in this idea of living life without the dragons and how humbling it has been. I just can't agree with this sad pipe-dream without the dragons that you call a good life. Hiccup, you can't tell me you are happy without Toothless! You can't tell me you don't spend everyday wishing he was here, that dragon changed your life. You wouldn't be CHIEF or ANYBODY right now without him!!!", she shouts and the room falls silent.

My inner protective wife absolutely takes over my emotions and it pulses through my veins. Everything within me is wound in a pit of rage as Hiccup sits back in his chair. The same expression is on his face as the one I saw on the cliff just 4 years ago.

"Toothless didn't make Hiccup anything. He made it easier for Hiccup to realize who he truly is. The fact that you're blind enough to not realize the identity of your brother makes me sick. That's not what family is. You are not only guilty of all of these cruel and terrible things. But you are guilty of not being the Heather we knew and loved...", I state as I retreat to my chair next to Hiccup.

I haven't felt such boldness with my words in my life. I am usually the one good with the weapon and my husband has his ways of persuasion.

The room is astounded as I hold Hiccup's hand and kiss his cheek.

I look over at him and there is a fair mix of pride and shock in his eyes.

"Well. Considering the crimes at hand, I say she return to her homeland, where she waits out her sentence in jail", Queen Mala states.

There are tears lining the eyes of Dagur's face. A sight I didn't think I'd ever see.

Hiccup sucks in his lips in acceptance, and nods.

Heather is now crying, but doesn't speak another word.

Eret and Snotlout nod and lift her from where she sat.

Upon seeing Fishlegs next to Ruffnut with the baby in her arms makes her sob even harder.

I feel terrible, but she's done so much worse to all of us.

I stand with Hiccup, hand in hand as we watch her get dragged out to the docs where she will board a ship to Berserker Island.

We both exhale deeply.

Not entirely, but we know a certain kind of peace settled on our tribe.

The initial threat to the dragons and all of us is gone. For now.