Chapter 44 - Hiccup

"...there do I see my father, my mother, and my brothers and my sisters. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla... where the brave shall live forever...",

Astrid says as she bravely draws back a bow with a flaming arrow.

Dagur already had his drawn as a single tear falls down his scarred cheek.

"Goodbye, sister", he says as he releases.

Astrid follows along with myself.

The rest of Berserker Island warriors shoot theirs and it lands on Heather's boat that was found abandoned on the back side of the island. Within the boat were some of her earthly possessions; a few of the things recovered from the debris of her hut on her island.

Not a dry eye is on the edge of this cliff during a beautiful sunset in March.

My Zephyr clings to my leg to try to comfort me. I rub her sweet little head as she hides her eyes in my chieftain cape.

Astrid lifts our son into her arms and Nuffink buries his face in her neck.

This was their first funeral to attend. They're too young to understand why we did this, but it will be a great lesson of thankfulness, caution and forgiveness when they get old enough.

I don't expect many to understand why we are honoring a fallen, former villain.

I don't consider Heather one of them.

Even though logic and my mind told me otherwise, my heart still yearned to fight until the real Heather was revealed once again.

I can't forgive the actions and things she has done; the lives she probably caused and almost took. But we can forgive her, for she was a human being; searching for a place to belong.

Shame that the only person she gave her loyalty to, was the one that took her life.

He's out there somewhere. But with no army and nothing left, he will be vulnerable to any of our allies to catch.

"You ready M'lady?", I ask my bride who was wiping her face clean. The acceptance of the loss of Heather was beginning to settle in.

Easier than anticipated.

For we had lost her for so long, there were only a few tears left to cry.

She nods her head and grins at me.

The gang rode along with us in one of our ships, which needed a few more repairs from the battle.

We all boarded the ship in a reverent silence as Astrid and I went down below to lay our tired children down for a nap. Ruffnut joined as well with Lillian already passed out in her arms.

After we wrap them tight in blankets and furs, we all return to the main deck and I pull Astrid with me to stand at the stern.

"How are you holding up?", I ask her concerned.

"I'm actually... okay. I have a peace about it now. She's no longer searching... and we're no longer in danger", she says holding Zephyr's Toothless plush in her hands.

She's absolutely right.

We now can focus on keeping the peace and raising the kids to remain doing so.

I nod as I pull her into a warm embrace. She wraps her arms around my neck and I inhale her sweet scent.

I love this woman so much. Strong and as valiant as ever.

I plant a kiss on her lips just before Snotlout makes a gagging noise.

_____________________