Chapter 30 - Astrid

Snoggletog was in full swing once again in New Berk. The traditions of old and new were perfectly meshed together as Vikings everywhere were full of joy this season. I wore a floral crown woven with holly that Zephyr had made for me the night before. I loved it and Hiccup has a matching one too.

The traditional Snoggletog banquet was running smoothly as I sat in my chieftess chair with a 4 month old Nuffink who was already learning to hold his head up. He sat in my lap facing the crowd who was feasting away at all the goods and treats we had to offer.

Hiccup was making his rounds as Zephyr was close on his heel with... cake frosting all over her face...

Oh Thor...

"Happy Snoggletog dear", Valka comes and sits next to me. "May I?"

I oblige as she takes her grandson into her arms, "Of course you can. You don't even need to ask", I laugh.

"I know, I'm just being respectful"

I love her for that. Sometimes people just think they can come up and hold the newest Haddock baby.

"Oh he resembles Hiccup so much. I recognize the nose and face shape so well", she admires him and kisses his cheek.

"I know, it's almost scary", I giggle.

"And those eyes", she adds.

"Maybe that's why I love him so much", I smile and she glances over with the same happiness.

"How has it been?"

"Oh, it's been much better. Hiccup... tends to get caught up in his head sometimes but he's really trying..."

"Good. You know how it was for him growing up. I wish I could have been there for him all those years but... we can't change the past. I'm just glad Nuffink here gets double what Hiccup did. A wonderful mother and father all his life", she rubs my back and I lean over for a hug.

"Thank you Valka"

"Of course! Now go be with your husband! I'll watch the little one", she insists and I thank her.

I walk across the hall to my sweet Hiccup as he carries a messy Zephyr.

"Oh baby girl what's all over your face?", I laugh as I grab a cloth to wipe it off.

"Mommy stop!", she buries her face in Hiccup's shoulder. Now there's frosting on his fur cape.

"Oh Zeph...", I sigh in defeat.

"Hello M'lady", Hiccup greets me with a lingering kiss.

"Easy Chief", Gobber chuckles and we back away awkwardly.

"We get it Hiccstrid!", Snotlout joins in on the banter.

Hiccup wraps his arm around me and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Uncle Snotlout! Shoulders!", Zephyr runs up almost punching him in the stomach with her body.

He lifts her up and she stands on his shoulders as his arms balance her.

"Zephyr you're so tall!", Ruffnut comes over with Fishlegs and a toddling one year old Lillian.

"Oh my gosh she's walking!", I say as Fishlegs proudly nods.

Then he whispers into Hiccup and I's ears, "Thank Thor she takes after me with the brains"

We burst into whispering laughter.

Tuffnut was imitating how little Lillian was walking and he ended up looking like a giant chicken.

Then Snotlout bragged to Eret about how he was the favorite uncle and Eret proved him wrong by throwing Zephyr in the air and catching her over and over.

The bickering and laughter went back and forth for a good while until we couldn't breathe anymore from laughing so hard.

For a moment it felt like old times. The times we had back on Berk, the arena, the edge and now even here in New Berk.

"Oh man... this is so awesome. It's like the good ole days...", Hiccup says and everyone agrees in reminiscence.

"Yeah", everyone says in unison.

Then it's like Odin himself spoke straight into Snotlout's ear with a great idea.

"Guys! Let's go back to the edge!", he shouts.

"I still have never been!", Eret chimes in.

It sounds so wonderful but...

"Guys... we can't just drop everything and go... we have an island to protect and we have families now...", Hiccup says and I nod along with him.

"Come on! One last time! I want to make sure the boar pit is still in tact!", Tuffnut adds.

"We can leave Valka, Gobber and Spitelout with the auxiliary team to protect everyone. We won't be gone long!", Eret says and Hiccup puts on his thinking face.

It will be a lot with the kids, but we will have plenty of help if everyone goes... as much as I don't want to leave New Berk empty handed... it sounds like so much fun and breath of fresh air.

Hiccup is now staring at his feet. I know he wants to say yes, but wants to be chiefly about it.

"Come on Hiccup, it would be nice to get away and see the old Edge again...", I give him puppy eyes.

"Astrid...", he says between his teeth knowing I'm right.

"Go on lad! We can take care of things here! Bring in the new year with a trip to the edge", Gobber smiles with his aging eyes.

"What do you say Hiccup?! We can find some old books and notes we may have left behind!", Fishlegs says shaking his friend's shoulder.

"Uh...", he holds the back of his neck and glances at me again.

I nod with a smile.

"Let's... go to the edge!", he sighs and the whole gang cheers so crazily it startles the rest of the party.

"Sorry guys!!! Nothing to see here! We're just... shocked at Ruff's baby weight!", Tuffnut screams and his sister punches him to the ground.

The room awkwardly laughs and goes back to their festivities.

I look over at an anxious Hiccup.

"Babe.. it will be fine. It will be a lot of fun. Besides... we haven't been since our honeymoon!", I say with devious eyes at the memories of that wonderful week 4 years ago.

He now has an amused smirk and I can't help but kiss him.

_____________

"Okay Zeph, go look in your helmet to see what Odin left you!", I say picking up her empty mug of yak-nog and setting it in the kitchen.

She goes and sits by the fire where Hiccup sat comfortably in Stoick's chair with a giggling Nuffink in his arms.

She looks intently into the giant metal dome and gasps so loud I don't know how it didn't scare her little brother.

"The light fury! For Toofless!", she bounces up and down with excitement.

"Happy Snoggletog baby girl!", she runs into my arms and squeezes me with all of her might.

"You're the best mommy ever!", she says and I can't help but laugh with such a love I can't describe.

She then pairs the night and light furies and plays to her heart's content.

I had also made a tiny little necklace for my baby boy that was a wicker string and a smooth dragon tooth.

I place it around his neck and Hiccup looks at me as if I handed a toddler a bludgeon.

"It's been sanded and painted over! Good for teething", I say and he is relieved.

"Cool! After poor Zephyr's teething days, we needed something to help. Good tinkering m'lady", he proudly smiles.

"Thank you", I kiss his forehead.

"You ready for this trip in a couple of days?", he asks.

"I'm honestly not sure", I half laugh.

Hiccup agrees.