Chapter 29 - Hiccup

*As promised, more to read!

Some MAJOR Hiccstrid for you guys!

Enjoy!*

-k.r.

————————————-

This is what I was afraid of... I didn't want to become my father pre-dragon times.

Am I saying I don't want to become my dad?

Is that an excuse to neglect my son?

Of course not!

I just...

I find my feet going up the stairs before my mind can catch up. I can't let Astrid be alone because of this insecurity within me.

Zephyr continued to play by the fire and I wasn't worried about her as I went on up.

My sleeping Nuffink was passed out as I entered the large bedroom.

Astrid sniffs and wipes her cheek as she looks away from the mural above my desk and meets my gaze.

There are tears in my eyes.

I set Nuffink in his crib and I slowly approach my wife.

What a complete bonehead I've been. After all she encountered through this pregnancy, being sick during the most painful birth and now her husband hasn't been helping her.

"Hiccup. Don't.", she says and I am confused.

"Don't what?"

"Don't apologize. I don't care about the Chiefing, it's your job I get that... I...", she speaks barely looking at me.

"Astrid... that's not...", I try but she stops me.

"What is it?! Did I do something? Am I doing something wrong? Am I not doing a good job?....", she rants off pacing around the room.

Everything in me is breaking and my heart can't be held up much longer.

"No... you haven't done anything wrong...", I quietly say.

"What is it Hiccup?! I just don't feel like I know you right now. I am so exhausted and completely stretched thin more than I could ever imagine and the last thing I could possibly need, is the love of my life to not be there for me!", she throws her arms in the air.

Pools of tears are flooding from my eyes and this slightly angers her.

"Mommy, daddy, are you okay?", Zephyr comes in nervously.

"Yes baby. Daddy and I are just talking, go to your room with Toothless I'll be there in a minute", Astrid snaps into mother-mode and I'm amazed once again.

Once Zephyr leaves, Astrid sits on the bed again and weeps.

"Astrid... you haven't done anything. You are the most amazing, incredible wife and mother to our children...", I begin.

"Then what is it? Why are you so distant? Is it New Berk? ... Is it Nuffink...?", she asks looking up and I swallow deeply at her last one.

Her eyes turn from despair, to concern.

"Nuffink? What's going on?", she stands to meet my hazed eyes.

"I... I don't want him to go through what I did... I... have tried to hold him and admire him to see if it will help, but I can't shake this fear..."