Chapter 22 - Hiccup

Hey guys! Sorry for the couple days wait on this one... and it's not super long... but I may post another one later on today! Just wanted to give y'all an update!

Thank you again!

- k.r.

——————————————————

I knelt down next to my wise little Zephyr as she concentrated on the task in her small hands. Her furrowed eyebrows resembled mine so perfectly as she figured out how to lock the small sprocket onto a long pole.

"Ah! You got it Zeph!", I squeezed her tightly from the side.

"Do you know what you made?", I ask her and she shakes her head.

"You just made your very own fishing rod!", I say and her curious eyes grow wide.

"I did?!", she can't believe herself.

"Yes!", I affirm her.

She takes a minute to examine her work; looking it over and scanning every inch. I watch her turn the little handle and the wheel spins where it will hold a string. This goes on for a solid minute and I get a little puzzled.
Finally she looks up at me with confident eyes.

"Dad. That was really easy!", she says sounding as mature as an almost three year old could.

I proudly beamed at my mini-me as she continued to look and figure out how to tinker with it further after I hand her a spindle of string.

We were outside of the Great Hall on this cool morning in early February, as Zephyr played around on the steps. She eventually ties the little "Toofless" on a string and makes him "fly" as she reels him up and down. I chuckle at the little dragon invention as she makes whooshing and blasting noises.

My brilliant girl will be three years old in May, with the fourth anniversary of the Dragon Migration just says after in June. Astrid and I's anniversary is in the end of September, in which we will be celebrating four years as well. It blows my mind how quickly time has gone by, but yet we have so much more to look forward to.

The village was quiet mellow this morning due to it being still pretty chilly outside, but us Haddocks don't mind it at all.

"When's mommy going to be back?", my daughter asks as she unties Toothless and looks in her sack for a stuffed Monstrous Nightmare.

"In a little bit sweetheart. She's seeing Miss Gothi", I reply as I look through a stack of papers.

"Why?", she pushes. Just like I would as a curious tot.

"She's seeing her about her back, she's not been sleeping well", I say smiling weakly at her.

I've been concerned about my wife's back ever since she strained it, teaching the kids battle tactics at the school last week. This morning she could barely maneuver herself to get out of bed and out the door.

Astrid Haddock of all people can NOT be immobile, there's too much to do and quite frankly, she just can't sit still.

Just then I see her rounding the corner, from behind the Dining Hall. Walking so much better than earlier with what looks like... a giant bag of ice tied to her back?

"Mommy!", Zephyr runs over and hugs her quickly, then they walk together up to the Great Hall where I am standing.

I catch a look in Astrid's eyes that I've only seen once before. She carefully walks with her daughters hand in her own, her gaze never leaving mine.

My stomach flips within my body as I anticipate the very likely possibly that this may be slightly more than a backache.

I open the door of the great hall for M'lady, who is grinning erratically and she steps inside along with Zephyr and her many toy dragons.

Astrid suddenly pulls me over to the side a little away from our daughter and she gets close to my face.

Her eyes were already glossy as I raise an eyebrow suspiciously, her hands on my chest because we were so close. She's about to speak but I get ahead of her.

"Astrid... are you...?", I ask feeling the excitement building in my chest.

Anxiously, but happily she nods her beautiful head.

"OH MY GODS I CAN'T BELIEVE IT?!", I leap from Astrid's arms and she is giggling uncontrollably.

"YES!", she throws her arms in the air.

I know her back is sore but I can't help but wrap my arms around her torso and spin her slowly. My hand cuffs her cheek and I kiss her a little harshly than anticipated, but for Thor's sake I can't help it I'm so thrilled!

"Whoa Hiccup, careful. That's what causes this to happen! We should know by now!", she blushes holding her belly.

God's I am exhilarated in this moment. I knew I was nervous about the possibility of another baby, but there's too much joy that comes from these moments to even feel remotely off. There's also a look of elation in Astrid's eyes that wasn't there the first time she told me she was pregnant; there was confidence and anticipation.

"I know it's not a sweet and formal way to tell you like last time... but I just couldn't...", she babbles on but I stop her with a kiss again.

"Astrid I don't need all that. We're having another baby! That's the most wonderful surprise ever!"

"Mommy... daddy... are you okay?", Zephyr comes over to us as I realize we may have tears in our eyes. My sensitive girl worried about her parents who look mistakenly sad.

"Oh yes my love! We're okay, come here", Astrid kneels down and puts an arm around her small shoulders.

"We have something we need to tell you...", Astrid says looking at me.

She wants me to tell her?!

Okay.

"Yes Zeph, here, put your hand on mommy's belly", I instruct and she does as told.

"There's a baby in there", I whisper and she looks at me bug-eyed.

"You're going to have a little brother or sister...", I put my hand over hers.

"Really?", she asks and I nod.

"Yes! You're going to be a big sister!", Astrid smiles tucking a strand of Zephyrs hair behind her ear.

"YAY!", she screams nearly startling the baby within Astrid.

She dances around the room and spins in circles with her Monstrous Nightmare.

I wrap my arms around my beautiful bride once again.

Another baby.

We're having a second child!