Chapter 27 - Astrid

Hiccup had taken sleepless Zephyr home to get some rest while I remained in Gothi's little house. It was for her benefit, but I'm sure Hiccup may pass out himself after he lays her down. He's been such a stronghold for me, he deserves every bit of that rest he's getting.

I am still on close watch due to my sickness being as severe as it was.

But I didn't mind because it was just Nuffink Haddock and I.

My body slowly regaining strength, begins to find movement and baby-lifting much easier as time goes on.

I held my little blonde man as his tiny eyes fluttered open, revealing vibrant green orbs for eyes that resembled the love of my life's.

The feeling I had within my being when he was in my womb returns. The feeling that I had a second warrior inside of me, fighting my battles along side me. Despite all of the trauma and heartbreak that I had encountered when I carried him, I was able to make it through because I had another soul like mine.

The brave look in his 2 day old eyes was indescribable. I may be making all of this up in my tired and delusional state, but I don't care.

I rocked him side to side gently as I hummed occasionally. The Haddock family nose stuck out to sweetly from the blanket and the little blonde eye lashes made my heart flutter even more so.

He began to get a little fussy and so I set him in my lap to pull my tunic down to breastfeed.

Gothi arrives back from a short excursion for herbs and things for her potions. She smiles at the sight of him latching and eating well.

She walks closer to the bedside and squints her aging eyes. She points at her cheeks and points at me with a smile as if to say the coloring of my face is returning.

I thank her and tell her I feel much better than before, and also the fact that my back hasn't hurt as bad since I gave birth.

I feel like Nuffink has revitalized me since his arrival. I absolutely love and adore my sweet Zephyr and she is so much like Hiccup, but I feel like this boy will so full of adventure and bears an audacious spirit that I can connect to. I see myself teaching him battle tactics and skills with weaponry, showing him how to find the weakness in his opponent and how to use it.

The door then swings open and a sleepy chief walks in.

"Afternoon M'lady", he says coming over to kiss my temple.

He gazes on Nuffink nursing away.

"Hungry", he chuckles.

"Yes I am!", I reply and this makes both of us laugh.

"Well that's a good sign!", he says as Gothi tells him in sand that I am able to go home.

As soon as Nuffink finishes nursing I excitedly, but carefully, rise from my position on the table-bed and stand on my own two feet.

I am quite sore and slightly dizzy but I feel incredibly better.

___________

I am home with a bowl of stew and in Stoick's large chair by the fire. Hiccup is sitting crisscross on the fur rug on the ground, rocking Nuffink left and right. Zephyr is on her knees and leaning on one of Hiccup's legs, closely observing her new little brother.

My heart is so warm and nearly bursting with the tender love before my eyes.

Hiccup and I have two children. I can't believe this picture in front of me as I watch my wonderful best friend and husband with both of them; telling Zephyr to be gentle with little Nuffink when she kisses his cheek.

Hiccup catches my stare and smirks at the thoughts he knows are going through my head.

From dragon master, to father extraordinaire.

"I wonder if Toothless and the Light Fury had little dragons of their own", he says breaking the silence.

I smile as I slurp my last spoonful of the delicious chicken soup.

"I would imagine so", I reply going to put my dishes in the wash bucket.

Zephyr picks up her Toothless plush and looks at it for a moment.

"Mommy, I want a light fury too! For Toofless", she begs me with those big blue eyes.

"Sure sweetie! I'll start on it tomorrow, but I can't go as fast because I have brother now", I kneel down and rub noses with her.

"Dats okay!", she runs off and plays with the other dragons.

Hiccup stands and comes to meet me and sets the swaddled little Nuff in my arms. I hold him close to my chest as I recall the feeling I had holding him at Gothi's. My little fighting and spirited boy I pray to the gods he becomes.

Hiccup snakes an arm around my waist and pulls us closer and our foreheads meet. I can't help but blush at the sweet act.

"We did good on this one too", he whispers and I laugh as I kiss his lips.

"He's perfect", I look at my husband lovingly. "I can't believe we have two kids"

"I know. And we thought dragons were difficult sometimes"

I laugh out loud and it wakes my sleeping son. He opens his eyes... and starts wailing so loudly it startles Zephyr across the room.

"Point made", he says laughing and walking over to the fire where little cloths were drying. He hands me a clean cloth diaper and I go to change him.

Once he's all clean I set him in the bassinet and I go sit with my girl on the floor.

I hold the little Deadly Nadder in my hands as she had the Hideous Zippleback and Monstrous Nightmare battle it out.

"Hey Zeph, what do you think of having a little brother?", I ask her as I fly the little Stormfly and pretend to run into the Hookfang.

"He's really cute", she replies and I laugh. I see Hiccup proudly smiling from the kitchen as he washes the bowls from dinner.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. But I'm still next Chief right?", she asks like a little adult. Hiccup and I turn to her completely stunned at her random and profound question.

To be honest I am now wondering that myself.

There hasn't been a female heir to the throne of Berk in any of the generations before us.

Hiccup drops his job in the kitchen and walks over to us and sits down.

Her little face is wiped with uncertainty.

"Are you brave?", he asks her intently.

"Yes", she quietly squeaks under her breath.

"Are you smart?"

"Yes"

"Do you love New Berk?"

"Yes"

"Are you willing to help the people here?"

"Yes"

"Do you love dragons?"

"Yes!"

"Do you love mommy and daddy and Nuffink?"

"YES!", she screams and we shush her with the baby sleeping right beside us.

Hiccup beams at our wonderful and very mature three year old.

He looks at me for reassurance in his questions and her answers.

I nod proudly.

"Well. You are our first born, I think you will make a wonderful chieftess of New Berk one day", he says and and she leaps into her dad's arms.

I get a little emotional at the thought of my daughter being chieftess one day.

It's very real to me now that we have the eighth generation with us and all of this will be theirs one day...