Chapter 3 - Astrid

The morning came beautifully as it did quickly. I rose from my bed and started a large fire on the fireplace with a large pot of water above it.

I walk over to my window and gaze out at my village.

Snow!

A soft white blanket had covered the entirety of the island. Making it glisten as if mother nature had it all decorated just for us. A wave of joy filled my bones as I padded over to the stove once again.

I filled an old dragon water trough half with normal water, and the rest with the water I had just boiled.

I took a bath quickly but thoroughly before the water grew cold in the wintery weather.

Just then a knock at the door came. I throw on a giant fur blanket and go to answer.
It was my mother, Valka, and Gothi.

"Oh my dear I can't believe this day has come! Good, now that you're all washed up, let's get moving with the process" she cheerfully comes over and begins twisting my long blonde hair.

I roll my eyes about all the prep this will be.

Gothi then brings in ceremonial flower crown that was hand made this very morning, and something wrapped in a white cloth.

"Gothi says that there is a gift from Gobber wrapped in the cloth, and that she would like your written vows for safe keeping" Valka smiles.

I nod and go and get my mess of papers. There are definitely tears and smudges on them but who cares.

Today isn't a day for me to show off my strength, but a day where I allow myself to be humbled in love.

Gothi thanks me, wishes well and is on her way to Hiccup's I'm assuming.

"How are you feeling dear?" Valka comes up to me and lays a hand on my cheek as mom continues to fix my hair.

"I am actually good. Seeing the snow really made it seem like a special day" I reply happily, but Hiccup...
"How's Hiccup?" I ask her almost nervous for the answer.

There's hesitancy in her voice but,

"He's managing. But Astrid, he will be okay as long as he has you. Give it time. But today isn't another sad day, it's a royal wedding! I am gaining a daughter!" She laughs and this eases me.

I know Hiccup. He's probably just nervous and he can overcome that.

"Okay my dear lets let these twists dry, then we will comb them out" my mother kisses my temple and I blush a little.

"Thank you mother"

"What's in the cloth?" I ask and Valka beams with excitement.

I open the corners of the soft material and there sat two stunning crests. Each one engraved with the symbol of my good girl.

Oh thank the gods for Gobber.

I knew Stormfly would be with me today. It may not be in the flesh, but I have a beautiful reminder that she will be close to my heart always.

"Oh these.. are just incredible" my eyes well up slightly.

Both of my mothers laugh
"Oh my dear don't start the tears yet!"

I giggle as I stand with both crests in hand.

I walk over to the white fur cape that was made a few moons ago, hung on a mannequin. I clasp them on to each side and stand back, and smile proudly.

"Oh and don't forget the gown" my mother comes beside me with a wonderfully hand stitched dress with a copper waist buckle. The front middle was a long patch of silk that ran to the floor.

"And these" Valka comes on the other side of me with the Chieftess cuffs.

"Let's do this" I smile.

——————————————

The entirety of the ensemble was on and perfected in every way. The dress was a perfect fit, along with the belt that matched my cuffs and Deadly Nadder crests, which held my long beautiful fur train.

It was just mother and I now, Valka had gone to help Hiccup.

Apparently Snotlout lost the ceremonial banner. Almost like he lost the Jorgenson axe several years ago.

"Mother would you do the honors?" I ask her gesturing towards the cherry blossom crown.

"Absolutely" she says picking it up.

Before she can place it on my head a tear strips down her cheek.

"Oh Astrid, We are just so proud of you. You have never failed to make me proud with your strength, honor, integrity and heart. Hiccup is a wonderful man and chief. But most importantly, he will be a great husband because he sees you past those traits and into why you are who you are"

She then sets the crown on my head.

I am already crying as she runs her fingers through my dry ringlets, creating beautiful loose curls.

"Thank you mom" I hug her tightly.

*Knock Knock*
"It's time!" Someone screams. But I know that voice... but it's not a voice that's familiar here.

"We're ready! Come in" I shout.

The door swings wide and I see my long lost best friend.

I am overwhelmed with excitement I don't even care about the weight of my dressings as I run towards her.

"Astrid you look beautiful!"

"Heather! I can't believe you're here!" I fling my arms around her neck.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss this wedding for the Archipelago! Besides, I knew this was going to happen years ago, now I get to see it!" She laughs and I join in.

I want to ask her about Dagur and how she's doing without Windsheer, but I stop myself.

"Thank you for being here" I smile and we lock arms.

"Of course" she smiles and we touch heads as we walk side by side, "I am supposed to take you to your father behind the dining hall where you can hide from Hiccup before he arrives.

We walk about a mile up the center of the deserted village.
Mom carrying my train and cape so it doesn't get dirty.

Everyone must already be up there.

Oh my gods I'm nervous.

Why am I nervous? I don't get nervous.

I just... go for it.

Well I am going for it, I'm marrying Hiccup. The chief.

No that doesn't sound right.

Why am I breathing so heavy?

Come on Astrid.

Just breathe.

"Oh my little Astrid. You look indescribable!" My fathers voice interrupts my panicked thinking.

"Thank you" I barely get out.

He kisses my cheek and hugs me. My heart is racing. This is most courageous thing I think I've ever done.
Beyond flying dragons and fighting serious maniacs. Getting married and becoming chieftess?

Heart pounding again.

Can I do this?

Am I ready?

Am I......? 

...

My thoughts are interrupted. There is a little sliver of light coming in from the drapery that was keeping me hidden from everyone.

I look through and I see Hiccup.

Walking proudly towards his people.

A smile clearly painted across his face.

Just then, every ounce of fear, questioning and unbelief drains from my body.