Chapter 41 - Astrid

*AUTHOR'S NOTE*

You guys are just absolutely incredible. Sooooo many kind words on multiple social media platforms and many of you share the story with others!

6k reads! Ah!

It's so kind that you all enjoy something that's so dear to my heart. I adore writing so much and not many people understand. Not to mention my love for this franchise and characters.

This chapter is dedicated to all of you!

Love always!

- k.r.

——————————————

My long blonde hair can't fit very well in my dragon armor helmet anymore. I look in the mirror and I decide on two french braids. Once I finish, I put on my headband and pull some loose strands along my face.

Whoa, I haven't braided my hair like this since I was really little. Then I had the single braid for years and years. The last almost 7 years of mother-hood kinda left me to leave it down and only pull the top half back in a braid; requires the least amount of work.

"Oh M'lady, I love the way you've done your hair", Hiccup comes up behind me.

Not even the cool, almost spring air could give me goosebumps like Hiccup did in this moment.

"Thank you, Knucklehead"

The last month and a half or so of preparation has been uneasy, but really vital for Hiccup and I and our family.

While the scouts have been watching carefully for Heather and Magnus' ships to pass, we've been spending as much time together as possible. Being with Zephyr and Nuffink and preparing them for mom and dad to go off to battle and protect home and the dragons. Of all the things that are difficult in parenting, the greatest challenge for us was explaining to them the dangers of war and what they could bring.

Hiccup and I have honestly haven't been closer than we are right now. The spirit of being wholeheartedly fighting for something has unified us like never before.

It reminds me of that romantic flight we took the very first time I rode a dragon. Once I saw the world from a different perspective, I knew I would be standing behind this dork for greater things the rest of my life. I believed in him and he inspired me.

Early this March morning, Eret's men gave word that both Fractious and Rebellion ships were seen. Once the word was spread, the gang and many other Vikings raced home to suit up and get ready to set sail.

Hiccup and I looked like we did when we were 21 years old. The suits were freshly polished, but some of the scales that had fallen off couldn't be replaced. We could only do so until we finally ran out about 4 years ago. I had finally lost the baby weight and I fit into it again. Hiccup only grew a beard so his helmet will only be a bit more snug.

"Whoa mom and dad! You look so cool!", Zephyr comes into our bedroom with Nuffink close behind.

"Thank you sweetie", Hiccup says picking up his little girl.

I pull Nuffink into my arms.

"Okay. Mommy and I have to go. Remember what we told you guys", Hiccup says.

"Stay safe. Listen to Nana and Papa", Zephyr repeats our instructions.

"Be careful mummy", Nuffink wraps his tiny arms around my neck.

"I will baby. One day you'll be fighting with me out there", I whisper in his ear.

He leans back and looks at me with those wild green eyes. The fighting sprit I felt from him in my womb was shining brightly through his eyes.

We gather our things and bags for the kids.

With each of them still in our arms we take them to my parents' house. They're excited to see their grandparents, but rush back to squeeze us one more time.

We give final kisses and Hiccup and I are on our way down to the cliff where the gang will meet to go over the plans and formations once more.

We walk hand and hand as everyone gathers around Hiccup and I.

"I'm so ready to kick some Fractious butt!", Snotlout throws a fist in my hand.

"My beard just better not get cut again, although I did go into a nutcase frenzy last time it happened, and that was pretty cool. BUT NO ONE TOUCHES MY BEARD!", Tuffnut shouts.

I roll my eyes.

"Here are some copies I made of the approach on the ships. Now, if any of you need assistance, use the flares Hiccup has installed in your boots", Fishlegs states and we all take one.

"Remember. Stealth is our game. Even though we've failed to do that several times, it's always a goal", Hiccup says and it makes me giggle.

"We may be a little rusty, but I faith in us", Ruffnut says.

I smile at her. I can see the same look in her eyes I must have. To leave the kids behind and go off to war. Not knowing what could happen.

"Let's move out!", Hiccup shouts and we all head towards the docs.

Hiccup stops me and grabs my hand, "Just like old times"

Then his kisses my cheek and I blush with a grin.

Hiccup and I board the Chieftain ship along with the twins, Fishlegs and Valka.

Snotlout and Throk are on Eret's ship.

The other ten ships are boarded behind us as we begin to sail forward.

I inhale deeply in preparation for what's to come. Although I'm sure no one could possibly imagine how this will go...

"You alright dear?", Valka comes up behind me.

"As I'll ever be. I just hate to be away from my kids...", I say with a longing.

"What if something happens?", I ask her.

She pulls my shoulders to face her and looks deeply into my eyes.

The wrinkles around her eyes and around her mouth were getting more and more prominent over the years.

"Astrid, we have no control over what happens to us. But we must have faith. Faith and perseverance will get us there. I believe we have the strength and will to do this. Just like we used to do it years ago", she says giving me a hug.

"Thank you"

"Of course. And I must get home to my grandchildren so we have to come back", she laughs and I join her.

I rejoin my husband at the Bow of the Ship.

He's anxious as his fingers are tapping the smooth wood.

I lay my hand on them to stop the nervous tick.

"It's alright Hiccup, we're going to do this", I say and I lay my other hand on his back.

"I just hope this plan works. I don't want to screw this up"

I punch him in the arm.

"OW! Why would you do that?!"

"You are not going to screw this up! If you keep thinking you will, you will. But if you lead us into this with a mindset ready to win, we will do everything we came here for"

He knows I'm right again and the doubt lifts.

"Thank you, M'lady. I couldn't do it without you", he says kissing my cheek.

The fog in the distance grows thicker and the density is almost unsettling.

"I know", is all I say before we vanish in the white mist.