Chapter 1 - Astrid

The morning is brisk and cold as the sun began to peek over the hills of New Berk. There still is an uncomfortable silence that lurked across the village. I had forgotten what birds sound like in the morning.

Frost covered the trees and grass as if it were pretending to be snow. But it's still slightly early for snow fall.

I emerged from my house quietly. Without thinking I grab my axe and latch it onto my back. My shawl was warm with the hood pulled up.

I jogged up the center of the village, passing the chief's house. I smiled warmly as I kept going.

It was a far run to the forest considering.... ah, it's still too new to dwell on it much. I reject the tears that formed into my tired eyes.

I reach my spot in the forest where I have trees marked with paint.

I pulled my axe from its spot and got into my battle stance.

I took in a deep breath and swung it towards the tree, striking right in the middle of my target.

I walked over to it slowly. I hadn't thrown it in a while. It felt good to stretch my arm muscles again.

We had no need to use our forms of protection for a long while now.

I looked at the large piece of weaponry as I pulled it from the wood.

This axe has been carried years upon years of war, battles, and memories in my hands.

My initials still faintly carved into the handle. I'll have to add a second "H" to it after tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow,

"Good morning M'lady" I hear Hiccup walk up out of the brush behind where I was standing.

"Morning Knucklehead" I go over to him as he chuckles as he pulls me into his arms. He kisses me gently and our eyes meet.

Those green eyes are so deep with emotion, passion, grief, hope and all that's in between. They reveal that he hasn't slept much either.

His job as chief has been challenging but yet so wonderful due to it being a new place with a new start.

But the missing piece of Berk that we had known the last 6 years has really been a difficult void to fill.

"How are you doing today?" I ask him.

His glossy eyes shown brightly in the sunrise.

"It's been better. I didn't think it would be this hard... I know... him leading them to safety was the best... but... what do I do? My whole life has been dedicated to dragons and fighting for them..." he states turning to look through the view of the village through the trees.

He continues, "...what do we fight for now? What's my purpose? I know... being our chief is my job and I am happy to do it... but I'm leading a new way of life again. It took so much to get used to what it was before..." his head is down now.

My heart aches for my betrothed. But he isn't alone in this...

"I know Hiccup.. like I said a couple of months ago, it's going to be a lot harder. But we need to take it one day at a time like we have been. Now that homes and the great hall are built, it will feel like home. But I am with you every step of the way. You are exactly what Berk needs even after the dragons have gone".

I walk to him and put my arm around his waist.

He's been very strong since the beginning of this transition. After a while it's finally taken a toll on him.

I pull out the betrothal gift from under my tunic that hung loosely on my neck. I held the medallion tightly and then placed it in his hand.

"This is proof that I have always been with you, and always will be. I was the first to believe in you, followed you with dragon training, fought behind you against various enemies, followed you to the edge, and even defeating Drago and Grimmel. And I can't wait to be by your side for the rest of our lives to see where you lead us next" I kiss his cheek and lay my head on his shoulder.

"Thank you Astrid. Having you with me has been such a gift all of these years. For helping me see who I am. And now to have you as my wife and chieftess is an absolute dream".
He squeezes me tightly,
"I love you".

"I know" I say in his tone he has used many times before. "I love you too".

We find ourselves now sitting on the grass looking over the village. Vikings are up and about now.
We giggle as we see Gobber wobbling around probably looking for Hiccup.

"I told him I am now off for the wedding" he rolls his eyes and his head follows suit.

"A chief can't just take off" I nudge him.

"Sure I can! I can leave it to the next in charge and I go do whatever I want!" He says and I can feel the sarcasm in his tone.

"Hey! That means I have to do it while you goof off!" I punch him.

"Ow! Well considering your reaction to my statement, I wouldn't mind getting away from that" he laughs and I lunge on to him, pinning his shoulders to the ground. He tries to move but I don't let him.

"Okay... you win" he says and I let my guard down a little as he sits up.

Suddenly he throws my body to the ground and stares into my eyes. A devious eyebrow raises.
He kisses me ever so sweetly.

I want to tackle him again but,

"Oh um. I'm so sorry. Uh. This. Is uh... awkward I just..." I hear Fishlegs' voice.

We immediately jump apart 5 feet from each other.

"Well no need to be so dramatic about it. We all know you're getting married tomorrow Hiccstrid" Snotlout soon follows.

We both chuckle uncomfortably.

"What's up guys?" Hiccup says bringing formality back to the situation.

"Well, it's time to get everything set before the ceremony tomorrow. Astrid your mother is almost done with your gown and needs you to get fitted. And Hiccup we need to break up the twins from fighting over which head of Barf and Belch goes on top on the wood carving in the square. And your mother wants you afterwards" Fishlegs states.

Oh the joys of a wedding... it being practically a royal wedding doesn't help either. But as long as it ends with Hiccup and I married and on the way to our honeymoon, I don't care about the pressure at all.

"Alright, I'll head back to my parents then" I pick up my axe. I notice a nervous glance on Hiccup's face.

"I'll see you later today" I wink as I walk past all of the guys and I headed back to the village.