32. Jealousy speaks

Sipping my Coca-Cola, I jeer internally as I watch Ariel and Brandon on the dance floor. It's my special feature to be sitting alone at a bar and spectate others. The lovebirds are moving slowly with the rhythm of the music, while losing themselves in each other's eyes. The small peck, which they exchanged during Truth or Dare, charmed them more than we thought.

The party has started about fifteen minutes ago, after Ariel and Latasha have cut their birthday cakes. The illuminated hall is now packed with the students of our school. Just some blasting musics, and they are already hyper.

Well, not for my case as usual. With Ariel now busy, I'm without company.

As I think so, the stool next to me scrapes. My head drifts to see the person who just sat by my side, and my face crumples in displeasure.

It's Lia.

"Hey." She smiles at me politely.

Even if my ego is compelling me to ignore her, I smile back. "Hey."

Her maked-up face lights up hopefully. She then orders a beer, tapping her fingers distractingly on the counter.

It's weird to see her not among the hysteric dancers. "I've never seen you so calm at a party." I can't help but to voice out my thought.

She throws at me a sad look as she pays the barman."I lost interest in almost everything since what happened. I'm not saying it to make you pity me and forgive me, but..." She trails off, her eyes trembling in sadness as she stares at me. "I really miss you, Hazel."

There is a pang at my heart.

I quickly look away from her, feeling a mixture of emotions climbing up my throat.

I miss you too, Lia.

At the back of my head, I can hear Erden's voice telling me that Lia was just not courageous enough, and that everyone deserves a second chance. Unbelievably, Erden is not a devil as I thought. His voice is speaking to me, like the positive side of me would do to guide me.

I watch around to avoid any more conversations with Lia. My eyes catch Thomas who is standing in the far end of the hall, his gaze already us. But I know it's not on us, it's on Lia. He has been gawking at her since a while.

My eyes rapidly flick to Lia, to check if she is staring back at him. As I catch her, she swiftly looks away and starts humming along with the song in the background.

I can't retain a chuckle. They are undeniably cute.

"Don't punish yourself more." I finally cede. How can I let them suffer more because of me. "Go to him."

She bounces on the stool, her eyes wide.

"You forgive me?!" She cries out, her eyeballs twinkling.

In such a direct manner, my ego refrains me from agreeing. But seeing her so happy makes me beam cheerfully. "You are my friends. I just wish both of you happiness."

Lia's eyes fill with tears of joy. "Thank you, Hazel!" She leans on me, wrapping her arms around me for a hug. "Thank you so much!"

Hugging her back, I close my eyes and appreciate the feeling of having back one of the most important persons of my life. I was not the same without her. Crazy how it sounds, I was like a phone without internet.

"I will never deceive you again, I promise." She swears as she pulls out of the hug.

I nod, hopefully. I know she will keep her words.

"We can talk about that later," I wiggle my brows, shooting a glance towards Thomas. "Go! Go to him!"

"Right!" She laughs sheepishly. "I have so much to do to make up to you!" She plants a small kiss on my cheek as she wakes up from the stool. She waves at me before she sneaks through the crowd to reach her prince, who is on the other side, smiling at me gracefully as he has watched everything.