16. Race

My feet pound the pavement as I jog back to my house. On this early morning, I've been jogging around to change my mind. I needed this to get all that has happened lately out of my head. My breakup with Thomas, my venture with Erden and telling him the truth about him was stressing me out.

Sighing, I slow down and begin walking as nearly reach my house. But I panic as I pass in front of Erden's house. He is in front of his garage in a grey vest, washing his black sleek Kawasaki bike.

Gosh no. I don't have the strength to talk to him after all that happened. I can't give him more explanation.

Lowering my head, I walk fast, hoping he will not notice me.

"Hey."

Shit.

I walk faster, ignoring him.

"Hey, hey."

I accelerate my steps even more when I hear his footsteps trying to catch up. But he is faster than me.

"Hey, stop!" He grabs my arm and turns me.

Butterflies fill in my stomach at the sight of him. His silky morning hair is sticking out in all direction, giving him a sexier air. But I ignore my raging hormones and push his hand away, stepping back. "I don't wanna talk to you."

He raises a brow.

"Why are you mad?" He pauses, tucking his tongue in his cheeks. "Miss writer."

Miss writer? Seriously?

"Bye, Erden." I roll my eyes and turn away.

He jogs after me and comes in front of me this time. "Okay, okay." He sighs, raising a finger. "Let's make a race."

My eyes narrowed.

"The first one who finishes one complete round of the park, wins. If I win, you explain me more about what you were talking yesterday. And if you win, then you don't have to tell me anything."

I'm bug-eyed. God, no.

When I don't respond, he spreads his shoulders in confidence. "All right?"

I grunt under my breath. "Fine."

"Ready, go!" I don't have time to blink when he immediately starts to run. 

I scream in anger. "That's unfair! You're cheating Erden!"

He turns a deaf ear to me and continues to gallop. I panickily sprint, trying to catch him up. But he has already taken so many steps ahead from me. I clench my teeth. How unfair. Now he is sure that he will win. I'm screwed. I can't give him more explanation. There is no way I can face him and avow to him that I have to kill him.

But I maintain a motivated spirit. I have to overtake him!

My feet pound the ground as I accelerate, causing mud to splash on my legs. I dart past trees, my ponytail swinging. Erden is going so fast, his long legs making him take large steps. It's still far to catch him. But I keep going. The steady pound of my footsteps is echoing into my ears. I run, run and run, but the path seems interminable. We are dashing by other joggers, making sure not to stumble against them. I'm starting to breathe steadily as I've completed half the track, but I push harder and go faster. 

I dash the last half of the tract, gasping for air. A thin layer of sweat is covering my nape. I'm hyperventilating, my view bouncing in synch with my movements. Why did I agree on this? It seems impossible to surpass Erden as we nearly reach the finishing line. 

But I give my last everything. I speed up, my steps pounding in time with my heartbeat. I can feel beads of sweat rolling down my forehead and splatter to my chin. My head starts to spin around.