41

I slammed the door behind me, how could I have almost slipped like that. Why was that I Love You feeling so strong. Maybe it was just the sympathy talking. I had too much swirling through my head right now, I needed to get out, alone.

I took a quick shower then threw on my sports bra and running shorts before sliding on my shoes. I tucked my license and credit card into my bra and grabbed my keys back off the table.

It was perfect weather outside and a beach run was exactly what I needed. So I drove down to my favorite running spot, just south of PB and started down the boardwalk. My head was already unwinding as my pace sped up.

Gavin's parents had died ten years ago, both of them, so it was probably tragic and unexpected. Gavin would have been only what...12. Oh god, was I like a mother figure to him? No, his sister was like 30 which meant the older ones had to be my age.

Then memories of Vegas started churning through my mind. I got mad at him for being such a prick after I said I wouldn't drive home with him. Why hadn't he just told me he didn't want to be alone, that he needed me. Maybe he had, but I didn't realize the gravity of it all.

Then to come home to him waiting with those swollen tear filled eyes. I had assumed those tears were for me, but they were for his parents. Tears started to well up in my own eyes and I ran a little faster.

He was always so worried that I wasn't okay and now I knew why. He was afraid that one day I wouldn't be. That I meant so much to him that he needed to know I was okay, even if it annoyed the heck out out of me. He wasn't a macho protective, I wasn't his property. He was a needy protective, he just wanted to keep me safe.

I reached down instinctively for my phone. Crap. I didn't grab when I ran out of the house. Well Grant thought I was at work anyways and Gavin was with his sister. I would message Gavin when I got back, just a quick check in.

The beach was therapeutic. The setting sun hitting me as I breathed in the salty ocean air. I had dreamt about running on the beach before I moved here and now I did it quite often. Even Grant had joined me a few times before he made friends at school and got too cool to hang with his mom.

This is what we should have been doing today! He should have picked me up and we could have spent the day at the beach, just the two of us. Instead he wanted to set me up with Mike. He probably didn't realize what a creep he was but I still needed to talk to him and stop this setting-up business immediately. Today shouldn't have been a lunch and dinner double date.

I guess it worked out though. If I hadn't run into Giorgia then I wouldn't know about Gavin's parents, the stem of his moodiness, and about her. Jeez, I'd probably be cursing Gavin this entire run if I hadn't met her. And I did get some much needed Gavin time in his hotel room. Ughh... tomorrow couldn't come fast enough.

It'd been a few miles now as I jogged up to my favorite little open air bar. "Water bottle, please." I handed the bartender my card in exchange for the chilled water.

The sky was growing darker which was my cue to turn around and start back. I took another drink and poured a bit over my head before turning back down the boardwalk.

The sun was officially gone, filling the sky with the remains of it's red and orange streaks. I wondered if Gavin was watching this from the hotel right now? I wish I was there, watching the sunset with him on his balcony.

It was going to be hard not to mention his parents, but I had promised Giorgia and I didn't want to upset Gavin. He'd tell me when he was ready.

I also needed to get this whole love thing under control. I couldn't possibly love him, right. It was too soon, he was too young. Maybe it was just the amazing sex talking, I did love the sex.

No, there was more. I loved him. I'm old enough to know love. It was love at first sight, just camouflaged as lust at first sight. I'd just been denying it too long. Age be damned, Gavin was a good man.

And he'd be graduating in a few months, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. But would we still be together then. We'd never talked long term, it was too soon. What if he wanted to leave San Diego. New York was his home, but I couldn't picture myself in New York. I wanted to stay here, watching these beautiful sunsets every night with the beach and the mountains surrounding me.

The sky was black as I climbed into my car and grabbed a shirt from the backseat to wipe the sweat away.

That run was needed and I wasn't even tired. Instead I was full of energy. I turned up my music and started the drive home.

Maybe I should take myself out to dinner or do some nighttime gardening.

Or. Oh, shit.

Gavin's car was parked in front of my sidewalk. I turned into the driveway looking over as his drivers side door flew open.