34

"Food's ready! Want to eat out there or at the table?" Gavin rounded the corner, holding two plates.

"Here."I straightened up, stretching my sore back. "Looks good." I took a plate from his hand, immediately swirling the noodles onto my fork, inhaling the strong tomato scent before shoveling the pasta into my mouth.

Gavin took his seat beside me, slurping his plate right up- loud, noisy slurps and sucks. I looked over, watching him suck up the dangling spaghetti, swirling the noodles, pushing them to his mouth- to those lips. It was like the ice cream cone all over again. Who looked this damn sexy when they ate!

I couldn't stop glancing over, watching him spin, suck, slurp the spaghettis between his lips. "Ahh," I gasped, flinging my head towards the TV as a cover.

"Are you alright Sadie?"

"Uh huh." Luckily 'ah' sounded like 'ow'. I stifled a laugh, focusing back on the plate in front of me.

"How do you like it?" He lifted his wrapped fork in the air with a smile.

"It's good. I'm enjoying it." Watching it that is...

He gave me a short laugh before inhaling his fork full, while my hand slid to his leg, dancing up his thigh.

"Are you full baby?"

"No, I'm still very hungry," I teased, running my fingers up higher.

He met my eyes, his going wide, immediately flashing to my hand rubbing down his zipper. "No! Not when you're concussed!" He grabbed my hand, moving it back to my leg. Then I grabbed his, moving it also to my leg. "Fuck, Sadie, seriously?" He set his plate on the table, twisting his body towards mine.

"I just want you to touch me, it's protocol for concussions, stimulates the brain." I pushed his stretched fingers under my sleep shirt.

"No." He whipped his hand back, leaving me hanging. "Not like this."

"Well it's your fault.."

"What?" His face paled, hands falling to his sides.

"Not the fall- you just shouldn't eat next to me."

"What?" He asked again.

"You're too sexy when you eat."

He cracked the slightest smile. "I'm sexy when I'm shoveling food in my mouth?"

"Ice cream and spaghetti at least," I laughed, and his smile cracked even bigger.

He rolled his eyes playfully before picking up our plates and carrying them back to the kitchen, turning the corner just as my phone rang.

I stretched, stood up, walked over to my purse and seeing Grant's name flashing on my phone. I pushed the screen to my ear, answering his call. "Hey baby!" I turned seeing Gavin in front of me. "Grant," I mouthed, throwing a finger to my mouth, shushing him.

I continued back to the couch, sinking to the cushions while Gavin dropped to the floor, lifting my foot in his hands to rub it.

"Hey mom! How was Vegas?"

"It was fun!"

"Uh huh...I bet."

"Yup, just what I needed."

"Want to hang out this week? Maybe do dinner?"

"When?"

"Tomorrow?"

"I work tomorrow, how about Tuesday?"

"Sure!"

"Then it's a date."

"Do you think Berkeley and her dad could join us?"

"I... I don't know sweetie."

"C'mon mom!"

"I'm..." I looked down at Gavin, his face turned, looking up at me. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

"I'm seeing some...okay, fine."

"Cool! Love you mom! See you Tuesday!"

"I love you too, bye."

Gavin's face was back on the TV, his hands rubbing my foot a bit too aggressively. "What was that about?" He tried to ask casual, but it came off more demanding.

"We're going to spend the day together Tuesday and he, um. He wants to go to dinner with his girlfriend."

Gavin twisted his face back, meeting my eyes. "And."

"And her dad's in town and wants to join. Grant really wants me to go."

He turned back around to face the TV. "So you're going out with Mike."

"No, I told Grant..."

"You said fine."

"I'm going to talk to him Tuesday and tell him I'm seeing someone."

"Really?" He turned back again, watching me.

"Yes, but not who I'm seeing."

"And you're working tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Tomorrow and Wednesday."

He switched to my other foot, rubbing up the sole. "When do I get to see you? Tomorrow night?"

"How about Thursday? We could do something."

"Seriously!" He grumbled.

"Wednesday night?"

"Whatever, and don't you think Grant's a little too old to be called baby?"

"What?" I laughed, kicking my foot in his hand. "Where'd that come from?"

"You answered the phone, hey baby."

"He'll be my baby until he's eighty!" And my sweetie, and my honey. "Why are you in such a huff?"

"I'm not. I just hate that he's trying to set you up with his chick's dad."

"I don't think it's like that. But don't worry, I'll handle it."

He shook his head, grumbling yet again. "I will if you don't."

"Why don't we plan something for Thursday. I have the whole day free and we can spend the day together. Do something... go on a real date."

"Like what?"

"I don't know?" I hadn't been on a date in years, actually, had I ever been on a real date? "Let's get out of here for the day."

He sat back, stewing for a minute. "I think I might know a place. We can take the train."

"The train?" I'd never been on a train before.

"Yeah, it cruises up north," he smiled back. "I took it once when I first moved here. It's nothing like the trains back home but the view's cool."

"Okay,train it is."

{Author's Note: Just your friendly reminder to please vote on all the chapters you're reading. Votes are the little stars at the top or bottom of your screen.}