37

"Reservation for Branson." Mike told the hostess who immediately smiled and ushered us back.

She led us to a tucked away corner table that sat right up against the glass, overlooking the sand. It was really quite beautiful and definitely out of my price range.

I flipped through the wood bound menu. Twenty-two dollars for a salad! This was something I had learned to get used to living here, ridiculous prices for a few pieces of organic lettuce.

"So how was your trip?" Mike asked, causing Grant and Berkeley to give me their attention too.

"Oh," I smiled, averting their eye contact as I looked around the room. "It was," holy shit was that Gavin, I studied the distant figure, his back, hair, shoulders and those biceps. It was Gavin.

"Mom?" Grant chuckled, as I looked back at him.

"Sorry, this restaurant is just so pretty," I gushed. "Vegas was... Vegas."

I brought my drink up to my face and quickly stole another glance at the distant figure across the room. There was no doubt it was Gavin!

And sitting across from him was a beautiful girl with long black hair and matching jet black eyes, fully engaged in whatever they were discussing, as they talked back and forth.

"And you ma'am?" A waiter suddenly appeared in my face and I pulled my eyes over to my menu.

"The capri salad and an iced tea please."

The waitress continued over to Berkeley as Grant laughed in my direction, "You still recovering from Vegas?"

"Worked a twelve hour day yesterday too, I guess I'm just tired," I shrugged playfully back to him.

"Being a nurse is an admirable job, not for the faint at heart," Mike smiled, lifting his drink towards me in salute.

"I guess you could say the same about being a lawyer," I smiled back, but couldn't get Gavin out of my mind.

I glanced across the room once more as Gavin's beautiful date pushed herself up from the table and I watched as she walked toward a long hall.

Don't do it Sadie! I got on Gavin for his jealous behavior and here I was, wanting to get a better view of her.

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to run to the ladies room." I grabbed my purse and stood up, thankful that Berkeley was lost in conversation with Grant and didn't decide to join me.

I walked along the back wall, avoiding the center of the restaurant as I snuck down the hall to the restrooms.

What was I thinking. What did I want from this? I was acting like a child! A damn 36 year old child.

I pushed the door open softly, walking over to the sink so I wouldn't miss her and I let the water run until I heard a flush, then slowly grabbed a towel.

There she was. Standing next to me as she washed her hands. She was even more beautiful up close in a slick black dress and heels. Just turn around Sadie, walk out the door and leave.

"Beautiful restaurant," I smiled to her reflection. "Perfect for a lunch date."

"It's one of my favorites," she smiled politely back. "I always stay here when I'm in town."

I pulled out my lipgloss, trying to bide some time. "San Diego's a great place to visit."

"My brother seems to love it." She pulled out a small compact, dabbing at her face under the flattering lighting.

Brother? Brother. This was Gavin's sister. I stared at her hair and dark eyes, both very similar to his now that I think about it.

"A family trip, that's great." I should leave, I was stupid for being jealous and stupid for following her in here. Jeez, I wasn't stupid I was creepy.

"Not exactly," she sighed, tucking her compact away. "More like a well being check."

I scrunched my face back to her in the mirror, hoping but not asking for more.

"My brother always spends this past weekend with us but he didn't fly home and he wasn't answering any of our calls," she shrugged. "It's a hard time for him, so I flew out last minute, just to make sure he was okay."

"For a birthday or something?"

"The anniversary of our parents' death," she sighed. "Sunday marked 10 years since we lost them, I knew it'd be hard on Gav."

My lungs stopped moving and I could feel myself losing what little air they held. Gavin's parents had passed away. Why had he told me his mom was 62. Why hadn't he told me Sunday.

Shit. I didn't answer my phone on Sunday, he drove for hours alone with the weight of his parents and his concern over me. That's why he drove to Vegas. He needed someone, he needed comfort, he needed me.

I blinked back the wetness forming in my eyes, "I'm so sorry."

I grabbed the door, swinging it open as she followed behind me. I didn't want her to see my emotions. I was just a stranger to her.

"Sadie!" Gavin gasped, looking at me like I was a ghost. I looked back between him and his sister.

"You two know each other?" His sister pushed past me and linked her arm into his, making my gut wrench. That should be me, I should be wrapped around him.

"This is my sister Giorgia, Giorgia this is... Sadie."

"Small world," she smiled, "and how do you two know each other."

"We... we are friends," I smiled awkwardly. "I have to get back to my table, I'm sure they're waiting for me."

"They?" Gavin repeated and I knew he knew what that meant.

"I've already paid, let's go Giorgia." He tugged her away as his eyes narrowed with anger. She turned with him then unwrapped herself and hurried back to me as he kept walking.

"I had no idea you knew Gavin, would you mind not mentioning what I told you about our parents. He's very sensitive about it, it's one of the reasons he left New York."

"Of course."

"Thank you!" She mouthed before she ran to catch up with him.