42 | the one

chapter playlist
memories - shawn mendes
hearts don't break around here - ed sheeran
• love you like that - dagny

———
gemmaclark

gemmaclark my relationship with liam is summed up perfectly with this one photo that my beautiful boyfriend took at dinnerload more commentsshawnmendes it's me; i'm the beautiful boyfriendconnormcclain did you even eat any of your food???

load more comments
shawnmendes it's me; i'm the beautiful boyfriend
connormcclain did you even eat any of your food???

———
gemma clark <<<

"It's not that cold."

Shawn was looking at me, somewhat disappointedly, because my teeth were chattering.

"I can't help it," I replied, wrapping my arms around myself in an effort to keep warm. "And it is pretty freakin' cold."

"It's really not that bad," he said, the Canadian in him demanding to be heard. "You said you wanted to take a walk with the love of your life or whatever, and I intend to do that. Rain or shine. Freezing or not."

I smiled to myself at his sincerity, and he took my hand in his, making my heart skip a beat.

"Your hand is like an icicle," he said, looking at me with a grin. His was still warm, somehow.

"Yeah?" I replied. "Got anymore groundbreaking observations?"

He kept his grin and then kissed the back of my hand, keeping our fingers interlaced. Goddamnit, he's such a dream.

The field behind my house was big, with a pond in the middle of it all and the woods outlining the whole space. The grass was frosted over and the pond was frozen. The weather was gloomy and dry; the sun was behind a bunch of clouds and the dead leaves made a crunching sound when we stepped on them. It was pretty, but I was frozen solid. I did always dream of taking walks in this field with the love of my life, and what if this is the only time I could get to? Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I could die next Tuesday and then the chance would surely never arise again. So right now, it's worth it.

"I love you even when you're the most difficult person alive, Gemma Clark," he told me in a sing-song voice.

I couldn't help but smile. "Right back at you. You aren't exactly the easiest person to deal with all the time, you know."

He pretended to be offended, even though I was right. We both have our moments. But definitely me more than him.

"You take the cake for most difficult, though," he said.

"You know what? I will concede that," I replied.

He smiled again and swung our arms, the happy feeling in my heart expanding to the rest of my body.

"I know it's barely two days, but I'm kinda sad that we won't be spending actual Christmas day together," he said.

"I know; I was thinking about that, too. I think it's a good idea for us to each be with our own families, but being apart from you just always sucks," I replied with a sigh. "I've gotten used to it, though."