7 | not enough

chapter playlist
• keep holding on - avril lavigne
• let me go - hailee steinfeld
• quit - ariana grande

—————
about a week after that
gemma clark <<<

gemmaclark

gemmaclark: morning :)

———

So, of course, I let Jake off easily after he ghosted me in New York, because he was sweet when he came back and made me breakfast the next morning. I'm a sucker for pancakes and he's a really good chef, just saying. He gave me a long talk as we ate and a real explanation, and made me feel a lot better about it. I know I said one more chance, but one more chance. This time I mean it.

Shawn and I have been texting still, but I haven't seen him since we got coffee that one time. Sometimes I feel better talking to him than talking to my own boyfriend. Is that wrong? Probably, but it's the truth. Jake doesn't try to understand me sometimes, which is one of the most frustrating things ever. Shawn gets me and tries to get me, like Edith does. Like someone who really cares. I know Jake cares, but in a different way.

My phone rang with Edith's name on the screen.

"Hey dude," I answered, putting my phone on speaker as I tied my shoelaces.

"Hi. Can we talk?" she asked. I raised an eyebrow.

"Um, yeah, of course. About what?" I replied, putting my feet on the floor when I was done.

"Just something. It's not bad, don't worry," she said.

"Whatever you say. Lunch?" I asked.

"Duh."

We arranged to get lunch, and then hung up. That was such an un-Edith-like conversation, because she was always bubbly and chirpy, but this time she was just...normal. Edith Jones has never been normal, but that's what I love about her.

I grabbed my sunglasses and put them on my head, then grabbed my keys and phone. It was chilly outside, but the sun was shining brightly, warming the air just a bit. Not enough.

When I got into my car, the radio was playing that Chainsmokers song that I despise, which is always a great way to start an adventure. With a song you hate.

Edith was waiting for me at a table at our favorite place that has a killer caesar salad. She looked nervous. I got nervous, too.

"Hi," I said, sitting across from her. She grinned.

"Hey Gem. What's up?" she asked.