3 | one and the same

chapter playlist
• can i be him - james arthur
• we could be beautiful - wrabel
• waste the night - 5sos

— — —
like a week later
shawn mendes >>>

"I figured we'd meet again, one of these days."

I looked and saw that Gemma Clark was now standing beside me, leaning against the wall. She folded her arms across her chest and chewed on her bottom lip, looking slightly annoyed. I wondered why.

"Why's that?" I asked, looking at her. Jesus Christ, she's stunning.

Stop.

She smiled a bit. "I think that we're one and the same."

I looked at her funny. "How so?"

She continued to observe the crowd around us, and I looked around to find her boyfriend, who surely had to be around. I didn't see him, though. Maybe that's why she's annoyed.

"I think you and I both want more than this," she said softly.

"More than what?"

She paused for a moment, then shrugged. "Whatever this is. The party. The games. I want more than this. I can't take anymore of this."

We watched everyone have fun, the usual scene of drinks and smoke and happy people. We were the odd ones out; two people who seemingly fit in, but knew that they really didn't. They didn't want to, really.

"What'd he do this time?" I asked her.

She looked over at me. "Huh?"

I gave her a knowing look. "Jake. What did he do this time?"

"Why must you assume he did something wrong? He didn't, for your information. I just saw someone I thought I might enjoy talking to, and tried to start a conversation. My bad," she said defensively.

"You seem upset," I said.

"Well I'm not."

"Glad to hear it."

She didn't say anything for a minute.

"He's not a bad guy, you know," she said finally. "I know that the other night...I painted him in a bad light when I was with you. I was mad, and he was being a jerk, but it's not always like that. He's...good to me. He's the best thing that could have happened to me after my mom died, and he's given me the whole world. He loves me. And I love him."

I gave her a doubtful look. "The fact that I simply asked what he did wrong and you gave me a whole speech about how he's a good guy makes me feel like maybe you're just trying to convince yourself that that's true. Just saying."

She looked at me, furrowing her eyebrows in frustration. "I didn't— I'm not convincing myself of anything," she said defensively. "And you, you don't even know what you're talking about. You don't even know me."

I chuckled. "Hm. I thought we were one in the same, or something," I said, bringing up her words from earlier. She rolled her eyes.

"You're annoying, did you know that?"

I smiled. "Oh, but you don't even know me, Gemma Clark."