19 | letting go

chapter playlist
• lego house - ed sheeran
• half of my heart - john mayer (i think i already used this song but it's my story so i can do what i want)
• wish i never met you - loote

(this is kind of unedited because i can't bring myself to read it all again because it's late and i would like to sleep so i'm sorry for any mistakes)

—————
shawn mendes >>>

Gemma had texted me this long paragraph sometime early this morning, maybe when she woke up, saying thank you and how grateful she was and how bad she felt or whatever. I, of course, said that she shouldn't feel bad at all, and that I'm just happy that she's safe. Which is true. Then she said that Edith was coming over all day, and if I was free, then we could let Edith off the hook. I said that when I got done with work stuff, I'd be right over. If there was ever a day where I wished I didn't have to deep with work stuff, this was the day.

Edith answered the door when I went to Gemma's apartment. She looked relieved to see me.

"What's up?" I asked her.

She sighed. "She's just...doing nothing. Barely talking. I've tried to talk to her, but she doesn't seem too interested in conversation. She hasn't eaten either. All day," she told me. "Did you bring her coffee?"

I looked down at the cup in my hand. "Oh. Yeah. I thought she might like it. Was that a bad decision?"

Edith grinned. "I mean, it's like, seven o'clock. At night. But no. It was a great decision. She'll appreciate it, and she needs some caffeine, anyways."

Good to hear.

"Jake?" I asked.

"He has to work all day, and she's kind of mad at him, so don't expect him tonight," she replied.

Thank God.

"I've got to run or I'll be late for dinner. You're good?" she asked me, putting her bag over her shoulder and grabbing her keys.

I nodded.

"Thank you so much, again," she told me. "You've been better to her in three months than Jake has been to her in three years."

I didn't get a chance to respond, because with that, she left.

I walked back to Gemma's room, where I had rarely been, because it's her room. She looked up at me when I entered and smiled.

"Hey you," I said, smiling back at her.

"Hey," she replied. She looked drained, but still perfect at the same time. She was wearing a plain white t-shirt, along with her glasses, and her hair was in a messy bun on top of her head. "I'm a mess, just to preface."

I shook my head. "You're just fine," I told her. "I brought you coffee. Sorry I couldn't be here sooner." I held the cup out to her.

She smiled and reached to take it, sitting up in her bed. "Jesus, the last thing you need to do is apologize," she said, taking a sip. "Thank you. I need an energy boost."

I sat on the edge of her bed and she took another sip, her hand shaking just a bit. She must have noticed me staring, because she looked down at her hand and stopped.