28 | soulmates

chapter playlist
• roses - mackenzie bourg
• lucky - jason mraz & colbie callait
• slow dancing in a burning room - john mayer

———

gemmaclark

gemmaclark even though she's getting married, she'll always be mine

gemmaclark even though she's getting married, she'll always be mine. brad, you got one of the good ones. i love you more than anything edith marie jones & wish you two the best marriage in the whole freakin world

———
wedding day
shawn mendes >>>

I'll spare you the details of the ceremony. It was long and sweet and all too perfect, in typical Brad and Edith fashion. They got married. Gemma cried during their vows; I saw her. They were very sweet, in her defense.

She was an important member of the bridal party, where I was just a lowly resident of Table 12, with Connor and some of Brad's other close friends. I watched her laugh up there next to Edith, and we'd catch each other eyes occasionally. She'd smile or wink or whatever, and I would too, and I wondered if anyone else noticed. I didn't care, but I wondered. At least our separation gave Connor and I plenty of time to catch up, which was actually nice.

There were all these formalities, like the dances and dinner and toasts (Gemma simultaneously made everyone laugh and cry with her speech, because, obviously, she's incredible) before she was basically free of her maid of honor status.

"Look out, I think your girl's coming," Connor said. I turned my head and sure enough, she was coming.

My girl.

He doesn't even know.

"Yeah. She is," I replied, watching her. I swear, no one has ever looked better. "Don't say it so loud."

Loudly, Gemma would say. Adverbs or whatever.

She put her hand on my shoulder as she walked over, a little touch that made me want a little more.

"Hey," she said with a smile, sitting in the empty chair next to me.

"Hi," I replied, suddenly feeling content. "How are you doing? Your toast was amazing."

"Was it? I thought Ben's killed mine," she said, leaning her head against her hand. Ben was Brad's older brother who gave the Best Man speech. But hers was way better.

"Oh come on. It wasn't even close. Yours was ridiculously superior," I told her honestly. She smiled a little.

"Was not."

"Not to eavesdrop, but yours was ridiculously superior," Connor interjected, making Gemma laugh a little bit.

"Thanks," she said a little shyly. She was always a little shy around people she didn't know, I've noticed, but it's weird, because she was never really shy around me. I don't know, maybe she was. Didn't seem like it, though.