Chapter Twenty Eight

Hey, my loves!

Thank you so much for your precious reads and votes. Warning: this chapter may contain some triggers for some readers. Read at your own risk.

Do enjoy!

Yuh girl, Amanda. Love Ya!

 Love Ya!

Crash!

That was the door banging against the wall. Breathing hard, Andy’s gaze swept around the room, trying to take in everything. He didn’t want to miss a thing. The place was a void of darkness. He cocked his head, listening for sounds or any movement.

The room barely had any light. He squinted in the gloominess unable to make out anything. He hated entering blind, but he had no other choice. A stream of light beamed from a tiny window highlighting a dark blue strip of the wall on the opposite side of the room.

Silence.

His body hummed with awareness and tension when he sensed something wrong—something forbidding. Muscles straining with overuse, he moved calmly—one step at a time deeper into the room. On high alert, he breathed slowly, each breath synchronizing with the other.

A chair scraped on the floor piercing the silence. Andy spun in the direction the sound came from. His eyes trying to tear through the dimness. All he could make out was a blurry shadow. Sweat dotted his forehead cooling his heated skin. He didn’t like this at all.

“Who’s there?” he snapped.

“My old friend, so nice of you to make it.”

Andy’s head jerked up so fast his back popped. What the hell? His eyes strained to make out the shadows. He knew that voice. With no other option, he held out his gun pointing straight ahead. Andy knew he couldn’t discharge any rounds for fear of hitting Annie or his son.

He swallowed. “Kyle?”

A dry husky laugh filled the room. “I was waiting for you to show up. It’s about time. The fun’s about to start.”

Crap. Realization dawned on him, Kyle knew he was coming. Something didn’t add up. Fuck. He’d walked right into another trap from the sound of it.

“Why don’t you show yourself? Maybe you’re a coward. Hiding in the dark.”

This time his laugh was booming.

“I’m no coward. Oh, Andy, you will regret those words.”

There was a moment of silence then the lights switched on. Andy squeezed his eyes closed when the brightness assaulted his retinas. Shit. He gritted his teeth at the sharp sting of pain.

“Who’s the coward now, Andy?”

Andy peeled his eyes open. He couldn’t breathe as he saw her face. One eye swollen shut. Cuts and bruises marred her beautiful face. Her hair matted on her head. Andy’s heart jerked to an abrupt stop, her lips trembled, the deep split at the corner of her mouth crusted over with dried blood. She hung limp in Kyle’s hold.