Chapter Four

Where had the shots come from? Since they ricocheted off the cement walls, he couldn't tell. Andy guessed it was next door, but he couldn't be too sure. He didn't want to take the chance and take out the men he saw with the masks. It could be more of them. He tugged Annie closer to him and ushered them down the hallway.

"Andy, who are those people? Where are you taking us?" Annie asked, still in shock.

"Shh." He ignored her questions. His chin jerked up, his expression shifting to one of alarm and seriousness. "I've got to get you and your little guy out of here and away from those men."

Her little guy. If only he knew Reon was also his little guy.

She sucked in a breath of relief. Andy coming here, taking them to safety. Still, nothing could remove the fear she felt. And she had so much fear, for herself, for Reon and at facing Andy when he found out the truth. He made it clear, not only was he back in her life, he was taking charge, at least for now.

"We will have to take the stairs and go around the back. My car's parked there." He told her, breaking into her thoughts. Andy's face was still tense as he jerked the gun in his hands.

"Andy..."

"Be quiet," he whispered placing his huge hand over her mouth.

Annie's eyes widened. "What are you doing?" Her voice muffled beneath his hand. She shot him a glare when he didn't answer. He cocked his head to the side as if he was listening to something.

A tiny squeak escaped her mouth when he pushed her flat against the wall in a swift move. Her back landed with a low thud. Her head snapped back, but with the reflex of a jungle cat, Andy's hand flashed away from her mouth to cushion the back of her head before it hit the wall. Annie closed her eyes when they threatened to cross.

In a fluid movement, his big body moved into her, his breath fanning over her face. "Don't make a sound."

Annie peeled her eyes open to dark, watchful eyes. Andy's piercing gaze sent sensual tingles through her blood. God, it was like her body had a mind of its own. She wanted to soak in his nearness-his very essence. Annie bit lips from diving into the crook of his neck with her nose. Christ on a bicycle. She had her son in her arms, and they were in danger. But that didn't stop her from wanting him despite what her heart was saying. Was the thing even working?

Her hormones had completely overridden her heart, that freaking organ. Her mind was no help at all-it was lapping at every signal her body dished out. Disgusted with her behavior, Annie avoided looking at the man responsible.

Andy inclined his head in silent question and she blushed like a schoolgirl with her first crush. Being this near to Andy after so long did things to her body, every cell in her body tensed as he leaned closer into her. Foreheads almost touching. Thank heavens their bodies didn't touch; he was careful not to crush the baby.

"They're close. Stay still." His huge body seemed to cocoon them into the wall.

"Who?" she breathed.

Listen," he whispered into her ear. She shivered.

Was he doing this on purpose?

The answer came soon enough.

Not a second later, she heard two men speaking a corner away from them. The crunch of footsteps, pounding on the ground. Annie sucked in a breath, heart hammering against her chest.

Andy noticed her elevated pulse and smoothed a hand down her arm as if to calm her raging blood pressure. She hugged Reon tighter and waited.

"Mama?" Reon said, patting her chin with his little fingers.

Annie sucked in a breath, and her eyes widened. Oh God, what if those men heard her baby? She gazed up at Andy and opened her mouth to speak, but he shook his head. Telling her not to.

"Mama?" Reon called out, a little louder this time.

She placed her hand over his mouth. But he thought she was playing with him. He let out a small giggle. Oh, my god! This is not good at all. She turned her head so she could see Andy's face and maybe gauge his expression. Annie could have sworn she saw his lips twitching. How could he smile at a time like this?

Reon had lost interest in calling for her and was now playing with a button on her shirt. She let out a relieved breath, only to suck in her breath again. She heard one man say, "Do you think she got out of the building? We searched her apartment, and it's empty. She couldn't have gotten far. Maybe if we searched around a little more, we would find her." His voice sounded funny. His words had lisps to them.

"No, that would take too much time. Remember that crazy old Granny with that ugly cat. I've never seen such an ugly cat before in my entire life."

Annie could hear the disgust in his voice.

"Yeah, I remember her. She saw our faces," the other man replied.

Suddenly, sirens screamed in the night.

"Let's go before the police get here. I'll call Bobcat and Marley to meet us out front. What did Bobcat do with the body of the man he killed?"

Annie gasped, and Andy tightened his grip on her shoulders. She wondered who the person was. She'd been living here so long, and still, she didn't know much about her neighbors.

"He did nothing. Bobcat left the maggot there to lie in his own blood." The other man said.

"Boss will catch a fit because we didn't get her and the baby."

"We'll find something to tell him. Let's go."

****
Andy waited for a couple more minutes before they moved away from their position. "Let's get to the car now. We have to be fast."

"Do you have a car seat?" Annie asked him. Maybe he could have met someone else and had another child. Her mind and heart screamed at that thought. Suck it up! The man had a right to move on. Why did her heart hurt so? When she cut a glance toward him, his expression said there was the room for questions they needed to get the hell out of here. She saw Andy clenched his jaw and shook his head.

"Reon is too small to travel without a car seat. You don't want to break the law, do you?"

Andy shook his head. "Look, I don't want to argue with you. We don't have the time now," his deep voice gruff with impatience. "I know it's against the law, but I'd rather that than to risk his and your life by staying here."

Annie kept her mouth shut as he led them towards the black SUV parked under the dimmed light. He took his keys from his back pocket and opened the back door. "Get in and stay low," he said. Just as Andy slammed the door shut behind them, a bullet hit the rear bumper. Annie grabbed her son closer and went down on the floor of the vehicle.

"Andy!" she screamed.

"Shit!" The curse slipped out from Andy's mouth. His thoughts tumbled around in his mind as he quickly pulled open the driver's door. He slid behind the steering wheel. Where in the hell was the police? He shoved the key in the ignition. When the motor started up, he reversed. He wished if he could see the shooter and run him over. He glanced in the rearview mirror. "Hold on, Annie. I will get us out of here."

Annie could only hope and pray. After she'd strap herself and Reon in the seat, she still stayed low as much as possible. "W-we're okay. Please get us out of here."

When Andy glanced in the mirror again, he saw a shadow running after them."If only he could reach for his weapon. But he needed both hands to get them to safety. A bullet struck the car again, and he heard Annie scream. As much as how he wanted to drive faster, he had to make certain he didn't kill them while trying to save them.

Annie didn't know what would kill them first: a car wreck or the gunshots. She prayed over and over. No bullets would fly through the back window.

"Stay down," Andy shouted as he swerved around the corner and headed up the street.
_____________________________________________

Thank you for reading.

Vote. Share. Comment.